email message from United States Postal Service USPS

sng366
Community Member

Hi-

I thought I'd share this in the hope someone can help and maybe help others.

I sent a package-small Packet- to California on December 28 and received the following email from USPS today, Jan1 2021 :

Your Package Waiting For Delivry

Dear Customer.
You have to put all the data from accurate information in order for us to reach your address to receive your package

Cost Delivry: 2.99$

Sincerely,
USPS USA

Now I've already paid to have this delivered and I don't want it back.  Is this a fee I have to pay if the item is undeliverable or a scam or something anyone else has experienced?

The USPS help system is set up for American users and blocks you from making inquiries without an American address.  Even if you register for a USPS account which I did.  Very confusing place to visit if you're Canadian and want help with an issue.

My return address and all necessary information was on the item including a packing slip on the outside.

When you click on the Check your package link in the email message the following comes up in my browser:

We have issues with your shipping address

USPS Allows you to Redeliver your package to your address in case of delivery failure or any other case.
You can also track the package at any time, from shipment to delivery.

Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks for reading and stay well.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: email message from United States Postal Service USPS

It's a phishing scam message

https://www.uspis.gov/news/scam-article/fake-usps-emails/

Forward to spam@uspis.gov

When you click on the Check your package link in the email message the following comes up in my browser

You clicked a link in the message? Ouch! Better do a thorough scan for malware and keyloggers.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

@sng366 wrote:

Anyone have any ideas?

Yup. Ignore it.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
As others have said, it’s a phishing expedition. Sorry you were hit with this.

Look for little clues if you’re confused by a message like this. The grammar in this one isn’t standard American English, for example. “Delivery” is misspelt. And USPS doesn’t refer to itself as “USPS USA”.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The other major flaw with all of these phishing emails is that it doesn't tell you what item is affected, it is a generic message, virtually all of them are. 

Theoretically if they knew who you were, they'd also know what package was affected and would have provided a package number. (some put in fake package numbers hoping you won't verify it is a real one).

The golden rule for any emails (even in eBay messaging) is do not click on links. If something is actually wrong, if you go and log directly onto the site/company affected, the same notification if it was real will show up there for you to fix.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks to all who replied and offered help. Following the experience I did a major encryption of my hard drive. All the contents of computer are now heavily encrypted. Did a scan for malware-good news so far.

Thanks again everyone!

sng366
Message 6 of 6
latest reply