USPS delivered my package to some guy in the US?

kr0925
Community Member
So I got something shipping from the US to Canada, latest update was just a few minutes ago. USPS texted me saying that someone in Glendale Heights, Illinois picked up my package from the post office. Is this right?? How could they have messed up that badly
Message 1 of 104
latest reply
103 REPLIES 103

Re: USPS delivered my package to some guy in the US?

Well, my package is there as well - if you are in Canada like I am you can't really go by the expected shipping date, in part because I think that only covers the USPS end of things and does not account for when it is being inspected or if it get's stuck in customs on either side of teh border (although most often I think it happens on the US side when packages come in from US, but may also happen in Canada especially if incoming from a different country. The tracking only seems to go so far as to when USPS hands it off elsewhere and then you need to figure out who has it (for USA orders I usually get Pitney Bowes, although I am in Toronto and this might vary depending on where you are). One time I had a package actually track to Toronto, then it went to somewhere in Newfoundland for an inspection, before coming back to me in Toronto. All of my packages have eventually shown up though, but if you need things quickly teh Ebay Global Shipping is not it (some sellers use other methods like Fedex - I get packages that arrive all the way from Japan in 3-4 days while ordering from the other side of the border can take 2 or so weeks).

Message 21 of 104
latest reply

Recently bought item from just south of the border. I'm in BC. I told the seller please dont send it to depots all over the USA. Well I'm getting mixed messages saying will be delivered June 9th which is today. In meantime my item is in Glendale Il so we are actually going backwards. Why do they send it half way across the US when I could have driven down and picked it up. In my view the "NEW" ebay shipping takes for ever as long as 30 days coming from Florida and it touched on at least five "sorting" facilities!

Message 22 of 104
latest reply

@unicireo wrote:

Recently bought item from just south of the border. I'm in BC. I told the seller please dont send it to depots all over the USA. Well I'm getting mixed messages saying will be delivered June 9th which is today. In meantime my item is in Glendale Il so we are actually going backwards. Why do they send it half way across the US when I could have driven down and picked it up. In my view the "NEW" ebay shipping takes for ever as long as 30 days coming from Florida and it touched on at least five "sorting" facilities!

This is the way "eBay International Shipping" works.  It's a consolidation/forwarding service with a lot of perks for the sellers that use it as it relieves them of a lot of responsibility for shipping items out of the country.  Think of it like your item travelling by railroad, except there's no rail line connecting Washington State to British Columbia, so it has to go some other route instead.

You should have been given a time estimate on the listing page and in emails you received from eBay.  Is it really 30 days?

Message 23 of 104
latest reply

Thanks for reply. I asked the seller if she could speed things up as I live in BC and seller is just across the border east of Seattle. Things were looking up when it arrived in Seattle then things went east when it arrived in Chicago. I have to give Ebay credit I got a very fast refund on an item. The 30 days was not on this item.

The buyer I believe has a choice to use it or to use Fedex as you noted but thats about $150. All that being said I have NEVER had a package "never arrive!" and ebay is around $25 US and in my three pending current buys the one I mentioed was bought June 2nd and I paid within minutes and item was shipped next morning.

I love Ebay but it can be like a good marriage,- its not always perfect!

Message 24 of 104
latest reply

@unicireo wrote:

The buyer I believe has a choice to use it or to use Fedex as you noted but thats about $150.

I'm not sure where I "noted" this.  Sellers using the annoyingly and boringly-named "eBay International Shipping" service can't offer an alternative shipping method on the listing and I believe that they can't switch to another shipping method at a buyer's request because it's going to mess up their other listings.

There's another, similarly-named eBay service called "eBay International Standard Delivery" which is more like a postage option.  That allows sellers to offer alternative shipping methods in addition to the eBay one, but that service is going to be discontinued in a month or so.

@unicireo wrote:

I love Ebay but it can be like a good marriage,- its not always perfect!

Most of the time when eBay offers something new, such as the "eBay International Shipping" service, there's a period where bugs abound and they have to be worked out.  It's tough to beta-test a lot of this stuff so the site relies on guinea pigs like you and me to try it out.  

One of the problems with the international shipping and forwarding schemes that eBay comes up with is that they're really intended for destinations that aren't as economically integrated with the US as we are with them.  However, since sales to Canada don't generally make up a significant proportion of sales for most US sellers, there isn't really much point in creating something special and more efficient for shipping to Canada.

Message 25 of 104
latest reply

@vantol8 

Glendale is just outside Chicago.

The seller is using the new eIS freight forwarding service.

Your seller ships to the Glendale address.

Once there, the seller's responsibility for delivery ends.

Freight forwarding is very common and quite safe. Your purchase is headed for Canada, palletized with hundreds of others.

Soon it will show up in Mississauga (Gateway) and then another carrier will bring it to you.

It is two days past the expected arrival date.

The arrival date is usually a spectrum. Was June 7th the first or the last estimated arrival date?

What date did you pay? What date did the seller ship?

You are still covered by the Money Back Guarantee for 30 days after the last estimated delivery date.

Message 26 of 104
latest reply

Hi, I was also worried when I saw that my package said “Delivered, Left with Individual
GLENDALE HEIGHTS, IL 60139
June 9, 2023, 11:02 am” . So there shouldn’t be any reasons to worry? Cause what I ordered is a pretty expensive item and I’m scared it will get lost.. especially if they see what type of item it is 😕
Message 27 of 104
latest reply

The problem with computers is that they give a pretty short list of answers for FAQs.

I read the message  as " The parcel was given to a human being, not left on the doorstep."

The worst problem would be that you never see the purchase, right?
But you would get your money back because of the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

Your seller would still be paid* for the sale, so they would be happy.

You would be annoyed, of course, because you didn't get the Thing and because you had to wait for your Claim to work itself out.

But, as mentioned above, your purchase is on a truck somewhere between Chicago and Mississauga.

You will likely hear next that it has passed customs here, and with luck the Canadian carrier will be named.

You do know that with the eIS freight forwarding that you pay duty** on purchases over $150 dollars and sales taxes over $40 on arrival right? Be prepared for that.

You can also, in future, make importing simpler and less stressful by going to your local PO and signing up  for (FREE!) FlexDelivery of parcels ***

Shipping is the hardest part of online commerce.

Frankly, the best bet is to mark the last estimated date for delivery on your calendar and then relax. The post office has been doing this since 1874**** and they are getting pretty good at it.

*This is one reason why sellers sign up for eIS. They are not responsible for delivery once the eIS plant takes possession.

** This is CMUSA/ NAFTA- everywhere else in the world the duty free allowance is $20

***https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/receiving/alternative-delivery/flexdelivery.p...

**** The Universal Postal Union Treaty of 1874 - very important and very boring.

Message 28 of 104
latest reply

The postal system, all of it , world wide, uses the spoke and hub method for delivery.

Everything going from Texas to Europe goes to Jamaica NY, then to the Netherlands, then to the specific country, then the town, then the carrier, then the house.

But in the process that huge bag of mail (used for the picture not necessarily a bag) may take side trips to LA, FL, France, Bulgaria, whatever as transport becomes available.

I had a friend who did logistics for Canada Post. His day started at 5 am, and he had everything from contracted trucks to helicopters at his disposal.
Very occasionally he called in the Air Force. He was a very senior executive and very well paid.

Never watch tracking.

Message 29 of 104
latest reply

how long did it take to get your package after it went to glendale? i have the same problem
Message 30 of 104
latest reply

@kelaj-64 

What is the window for estimated delivery?

Put the last date on your calendar and don't watch tracking .

It won't move faster and you will just get a headache.

If it hasn't arrived by the last date you can open an Item Not Received dispute and be refunded.

Message 31 of 104
latest reply

@coral-223 

@krank21 

@pandesal1979 

@dgraycam

@jusbo_1437

@ron.stojanowski 

@vantol8 

Glendale Heights, if you check Google Maps, is near the O'Hare Airport one of the largest air hubs in the world

All that is happening is "spoke and hub" delivery.

The original sender has been told by eBay to ship to the hub

There the seller's responsibility for delivery ends.

EBay is now responsible for delivery,

At the hub, all the parcels for Canada (or more likely for Maritime Canada, for Quebec, for Ontario, for the Prairies and for BC) are sent together by another carrier.

That carrier may complete the delivery or may sub-contract to yet another carrier.

All of which is why you should mark the last estimated date for delivery on your calendar, and DO NOT WATCH TRACKING.

It works efficiently, but efficient and common sense are not synonymous.

If your purchase doesn't arrive by that last estimated date, you can open a Claim and be refunded.

If you are worried about secure delivery, go to Canada Post and set up a FlexDelivery account. It's free and means that your parcel will not be left unattended.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/receiving/alternative-delivery/flexdelivery.p...

And it's free.

Message 32 of 104
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

If you are worried about secure delivery, go to Canada Post and set up a FlexDelivery account. It's free and means that your parcel will not be left unattended.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/receiving/alternative-delivery/flexdelivery.p...

And it's free.

Your advice in that post is generally excellent, @femmefan1946, but I’m not sure how useful FlexDelivery would be for shipments handled by eIS as FlexDelivery is a glorified post office box service.

From what I’ve seen so far, eIS is pretty hardnosed with its prohibition on shipping to PO boxes, even to Canada where they’re used a lot for rural and remote deliveries.

Message 33 of 104
latest reply

This is happening to me too, and I’m not receiving any packages from usps because of this Glendale address when I’m in Canada.
Message 34 of 104
latest reply

The same thing happened to my last 4 shipments coming to Canada, they never reached me.

Message 35 of 104
latest reply

No, I'm missing my last 4 orders coming to Canada.

Message 36 of 104
latest reply

I don't understand why Americans have so much trouble shipping things to the rest of the world. If they just took the box down to the post office with an address and enough postage it should just go where you intend. That's how we do it in Canada. Put a stamp on it and the box goes to the person.  I ordered a toy from a guy in Kentucky but the package as been delivered to Illinois with no additional shiipping or tracking information given. It's been a couple weeks. **bleep**, I could have driven down and picked it up by now.  This whole process has reminded me why I stopped using ebay in the first place. 

Message 37 of 104
latest reply

@fitzzaland08 wrote:

I don't understand why Americans have so much trouble shipping things to the rest of the world. If they just took the box down to the post office with an address and enough postage it should just go where you intend. That's how we do it in Canada. Put a stamp on it and the box goes to the person. 

You don't bother with customs forms?

Message 38 of 104
latest reply

@terri5460 

Did you open Item Not Received Claims with eBay?

You have 30 days from the last estimated date for delivery to do so.

If that date has passed, you can open an INR with Paypal (if you used it, which is recommended) for 180 days from payment.

If you did not use PP, you can go to your credit card and enquire about a chargeback. Card policies differ, but most allow 180 days for INRclaims.

You can't get a refund if you pay with a debit card, gift card, or etransfer.

Message 39 of 104
latest reply

I ordered a toy from a guy in Kentucky but the package as been delivered to Illinois with no additional shiipping or tracking information given. It's been a couple weeks.

The seller used the Seller Protection service eBay International Shipping, which has many helpful points for sellers but none for buyers.

Go to the original listing.

What is the last estimated date for delivery?

Put that on your calendar.

Don't expect it before then.

If that date has passed, follow the advice in post #39.

In future, before buying, check the estimated delivery period.

Message 40 of 104
latest reply