Your item is being inspected on shipping hub

bad--45
Community Member
Over a week item still stuck on inspect at shipping hub it’s a video game console I called eBay and told me to wait but says one month to deliver from Illinois to Canada.
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

bad--45
Community Member

Update opened a case today item was lost a shipping hub getting a refund from eBay.

mod's can close this thread thanks for all the replies.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

From decades in mail order selling everything from wood stoves to postage stamps, I would agree with the eBay rep.

Any delivery that takes less than three weeks is normal. Less is fast. A month is a bit slow but not anything unusual.

EBay gave you a delivery window. Has the last date for that passed?
If not, mark that day on your calendar and if it passes without recieving your purchase you can open an Item Not Recieved dispute with eBay.

Tips.

Never buy anything online that you need by a deadline. Buy those locally.

Never watch tracking. It doesn't move anything any faster. You can't do anything to make it move faster. And the last report of location was likely made as it left that location.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

According to stamps dot com here are the suggested times with USPS for mailing to Canada. Other sites post the same info. When sellers used USPS to CP we knew what service was actually getting used. Now. Who knows?

lotzofuniquegoodies_0-1682096569880.png

Until we can get a handle on how EIS shipments are handled(carrier/courier) it will be mostly wait and see. Just too bad that eBay gives EIS extented estimated transit times whereas what it is shown for Canada to the USA numbers have limited leeway for specific services and forgets to mention that there could be customs delays involved in those times.

-Lotz

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Just an addendum to @reallynicestamps' excellent post:

Tracking shows where an item has been, not necessarily where it is.  Your item may have moved on from the shipping hub but there's been a delay in getting the tracking scans displayed on eBay (or wherever you're looking).  There are quite a few posts similar to yours on these discussion boards, and those who follow up on their posts say that they received their item and the tracking information caught up to it.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

bad--45
Community Member

The seller used usps to the eBay shipping hub than a third party picks it up asendia. Usps took 2 days to get from California to Illinois shipping hub I paid almost 200 dollars for shipping and I have to wait a month been on inspect for one week now iv never had this use before. I assume the package is lost.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@bad--45 wrote:

The seller used usps to the eBay shipping hub than a third party picks it up asendia. Usps took 2 days to get from California to Illinois shipping hub I paid almost 200 dollars for shipping and I have to wait a month been on inspect for one week now iv never had this use before. I assume the package is lost.

It sounds as though your seller is shipping your item through a new forwarding service called, simply, "eBay International Shipping."  It's basically a mail consolidation service and judging by the purchases my wife makes from other US-based online retailers, consolidation/forwarding services are often used to get small imports from the US to Canada as they're cheaper and a third party gets to handle a lot of the "dirty work" rather than the exporter.  The trade-off is slower shipping times than a direct mailed shipment.

If the estimated time delivery window has not passed, your shipment is not considered lost by eBay.

Unless your item is extremely large and heavy, US$200 sounds really out of line for shipping through a consolidator.  I probably would have waited to find a listing with lower shipping costs.  In fact, I'm currently advising my fellow Canucks to avoid shipments where "eBay International Shipping" is used for the time being as it appears to be kind of bug-filled due to some sellers setting it up improperly.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@bad--45 wrote:

It sounds as though your seller is shipping your item through a new forwarding service called, simply, "eBay International Shipping."  It's basically a mail consolidation service and judging by the purchases my wife makes from other US-based online retailers, consolidation/forwarding services are often used to get small imports from the US to Canada as they're cheaper and a third party gets to handle a lot of the "dirty work" rather than the exporter.  The trade-off is slower shipping times than a direct mailed shipment.

If the estimated time delivery window has not passed, your shipment is not considered lost by eBay.

Unless your item is extremely large and heavy, US$200 sounds really out of line for shipping through a consolidator.  I probably would have waited to find a listing with lower shipping costs.  In fact, I'm currently advising my fellow Canucks to avoid shipments where "eBay International Shipping" is used for the time being as it appears to be kind of bug-filled due to some sellers setting it up improperly.

@marnotom! wrote:

@bad--45 wrote:

@marnotom! 

Sorry. Have to!! Best laugh all week!!! Good one!!!

"Cheaper"?   🤣😂😂🤣

-Lotz

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

"Cheaper"?   🤣😂😂🤣

If the seller is setting up their listings properly, yes.

I'm finding cell phones shipping through eIS with shipping prices of US$11.75.  The cheapest you can send a USPS First Class International Package to Canada now is US$15.75.

Keep in mind in my previous post I was speaking to consolidation services in general and not eIS specifically, though.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

"Cheaper"?   🤣😂😂🤣

If the seller is setting up their listings properly, yes.

I'm finding cell phones shipping through eIS with shipping prices of US$11.75.  The cheapest you can send a USPS First Class International Package to Canada now is US$15.75.

Keep in mind in my previous post I was speaking to consolidation services in general and not eIS specifically, though.

@marnotom! 

If you look at the coles notes for EIS there are a number of benefits for sellers to use EIS but as for buyers that is very well disguised. (Like reduced fees for shipping.) IF we had something like that in Canada to say level the playing field, how much longer would it take for our shipments to arrived compared to what we have now? Not ready to imagine that. A good percentage of US shipping to Canada is 1 of 2 choices. Either a consolidator or EIS. The USPS direct to Canada with a actual shipping service are few and far between. Puts Canadian buyers between a rock and hard place.  From a personal perspective, if I order something from the USA I want to know how it is arriving with no unexpected surprises or it walking away off my front steps because the seller is using some mysterious arrangement.

I've pretty much given up on trying to find economical shipping for anything I need from USA to Canada. If they happen to use an actual USPS service it's become like looking for a needle in a haystack. The Canadian buyers I have spoken to recently are in complete shock at the insane shipping that now is showing up on majority of listings (US). They will only buy from a US seller as a very last last resort.  Due to GSP and now EIS a get a major thanks from buyers looking for something that I happen to have to fill their needs. 

-Lotz

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

If you look at the coles notes for EIS there are a number of benefits for sellers to use EIS but as for buyers that is very well disguised. (Like reduced fees for shipping.)

There isn't much that can be done to "sell" a shipping method to a buyer.  It's either fast, slow, or in-between; and it's either cheap, expensive, or in-between. I guess you could include how the item is handled by customs, but that would fall under both speed and cost.

IF we had something like that in Canada to say level the playing field, how much longer would it take for our shipments to arrived compared to what we have now? Not ready to imagine that.

Don't forget the added cost to the buyer if this Canadian service relied on sellers sending their items to the consolidation hub by mail or courier.  The model that would likely have to be used would be a drop-off system if this service had any chance at all to be competitive with direct mail shipping which would likely make the service a no-go for many rural/remote sellers.

A good percentage of US shipping to Canada is 1 of 2 choices. Either a consolidator or EIS. The USPS direct to Canada with a actual shipping service are few and far between. Puts Canadian buyers between a rock and hard place.  From a personal perspective, if I order something from the USA I want to know how it is arriving with no unexpected surprises or it walking away off my front steps because the seller is using some mysterious arrangement.

A lot of sellers in the past have sent my wife and me stuff that's been handled by mail consolidators of the seller's choice, independent of eBay.  I'm not sure if that's the type of "consolidator" you're referring to here.  Those sellers tend to use USPS descriptors in their listings, so even going by the listing page is no guarantee that you're going to get "USPS direct to Canada" from them.

As for "unexpected surprises," I had no idea that surprises could also be expected.  😜

I've pretty much given up on trying to find economical shipping for anything I need from USA to Canada. If they happen to use an actual USPS service it's become like looking for a needle in a haystack. The Canadian buyers I have spoken to recently are in complete shock at the insane shipping that now is showing up on majority of listings (US). They will only buy from a US seller as a very last last resort.  Due to GSP and now EIS a get a major thanks from buyers looking for something that I happen to have to fill their needs. 

Even USPS isn't really all that "economical" now.  At current exchange rates, it's about C$20 to send something by First Class Package to Canada that weighs less than half a pound.  Many Canadian sellers have already discovered the benefits from using services such as Chit Chats or Stallion for their shipments to the US.  Can you blame our US cousins for trying to find similar but different solutions?

Yes, eIS is showing some pretty wack pricing for some items/listings right now.  From what I can see, it seems to be mostly seller error causing this problem.  Besides, what I observed in the furor over Managed Payments seems to hold true here, too: When has the rollout of anything new by eBay gone completely glitch-free?  I'm content to wait until the dust settles before I purchase anything through eIS, and I hope that most buyers are also capable of taking a long-term view of this situation.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

If this is fowarded to canada post, i think they have issues right now. I've been returned 4 packages shipped with lettermail yesterday, those orders were from 3 weeks ago. They took freaking 3 weeks to return to sender packages supposed to be shipped in a 2-4 business standard. Putted me into trouble. Luckily i had chilly buyers. 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

If you look at the coles notes for EIS there are a number of benefits for sellers to use EIS but as for buyers that is very well disguised. (Like reduced fees for shipping.)

There isn't much that can be done to "sell" a shipping method to a buyer.  It's either fast, slow, or in-between; and it's either cheap, expensive, or in-between. I guess you could include how the item is handled by customs, but that would fall under both speed and cost.

IF we had something like that in Canada to say level the playing field, how much longer would it take for our shipments to arrived compared to what we have now? Not ready to imagine that.

Don't forget the added cost to the buyer if this Canadian service relied on sellers sending their items to the consolidation hub by mail or courier.  The model that would likely have to be used would be a drop-off system if this service had any chance at all to be competitive with direct mail shipping which would likely make the service a no-go for many rural/remote sellers.

A good percentage of US shipping to Canada is 1 of 2 choices. Either a consolidator or EIS. The USPS direct to Canada with a actual shipping service are few and far between. Puts Canadian buyers between a rock and hard place.  From a personal perspective, if I order something from the USA I want to know how it is arriving with no unexpected surprises or it walking away off my front steps because the seller is using some mysterious arrangement.

A lot of sellers in the past have sent my wife and me stuff that's been handled by mail consolidators of the seller's choice, independent of eBay.  I'm not sure if that's the type of "consolidator" you're referring to here.  Those sellers tend to use USPS descriptors in their listings, so even going by the listing page is no guarantee that you're going to get "USPS direct to Canada" from them.

As for "unexpected surprises," I had no idea that surprises could also be expected.  😜

Even USPS isn't really all that "economical" now.  At current exchange rates, it's about C$20 to send something by First Class Package to Canada that weighs less than half a pound.  Many Canadian sellers have already discovered the benefits from using services such as Chit Chats or Stallion for their shipments to the US.  Can you blame our US cousins for trying to find similar but different solutions?

Yes, eIS is showing some pretty wack pricing for some items/listings right now.  From what I can see, it seems to be mostly seller error causing this problem.  Besides, what I observed in the furor over Managed Payments seems to hold true here, too: When has the rollout of anything new by eBay gone completely glitch-free?  I'm content to wait until the dust settles before I purchase anything through eIS, and I hope that most buyers are also capable of taking a long-term view of this situation.

@marnotom! 

One would think when consolidators/forwarders were in play with a definite extended time for delivery window that there should be some savings for buyers on the shipping cost. I used to use a freight forwarder where I worked for work for our air freight. Because they had access to space on the plane we got a discount compared to Fedex/UPS. 

Seems when eBay is involved in negotiations there are never any savings. Like the "deal" Canadian sellers get for using eBay labels and Canada post. Or the savings we now are supposed to get using Fedex (Almost 10 months) without a view of what the discount is for the limited selection of services available. (Compared to if you were to use direct through Fedex.) There should be a working calculator...by now!!!

-Lotz

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Well, the good news in Bad--45's post is that he confirmed Ascendia picks up from USPS.  As i said in another post, it appears Ascendia uses Canada Post for final delivery.  Bad--45, i would appreciate if you can confirm this when you get your item.

My purchases from US Ebay sellers have virtually fallen to zero over the last few years.  Only rarely am i not able to find the item i want cheaper elsewhere.  Ebay's GSP was a boon for non-ebay etailers.......made their prices look alot more attractive compared to the often ridiculous postage and import fees charged by the GSP....alhough GSP rates and import fees did seem to get much better shortly before it was phased out.  But i still never bought from a seller using it because final delivery was done by some flakey courier service with a 2 star rating.

I guess we'll see if EIS shows Ebay learned anything from GSP.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

One would think when consolidators/forwarders were in play with a definite extended time for delivery window that there should be some savings for buyers on the shipping cost. . . .

Seems when eBay is involved in negotiations there are never any savings. Like the "deal" Canadian sellers get for using eBay labels and Canada post. 

I've already pointed out that the eIS shipping rate for cell phones is a few bucks less than what USPS charges for a First Class International Package up to half a pound.  (And I should point out that a packaged cell phone will likely weigh more than half a pound.)  I suspect there are other examples of eIS being cheaper than USPS.  The problem is that being a consolidation/forwarding service, the seller's charge for sending the item to Illinois eats up any cost savings the buyer might otherwise enjoy.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@fergua3 wrote:

I guess we'll see if EIS shows Ebay learned anything from GSP.

Has eBay or Pitney Bowes learned anything from the GSP?  Have you seen the perks and conditions sellers get through the eIS?  They make using the program a more attractive proposition than shipping and selling only to the US!

Scanning the .com discussion boards periodically, I've concluded that eBay has learned that you really need to work to bring sellers into the loop with a program like this.  You can't just opt them in by stealth and have them find out somewhere down the line that they're using the program as it often leads to crummy buyer experiences.

I suspect that a lot the GSP listings you saw with wack shipping and/or import charges are the results of sellers not fine-tuning their listings in order to use the program to its best advantage.  Remember, the GSP was pushed as a way of making international shipping as "easy" as domestic shipping, so even if sellers were aware that they were in the program, they weren't really encouraged to make a few changes to their listing and selling practices.  They didn't really have a set of terms and conditions to follow, after all.

And us being in Canada--politically, geographically, and economically tied to the US the way we are--probably meant that a lot of what the GSP was doing simply didn't apply to or work that well for sales to Canada.  This was the Global Shipping Program, after all, not the Canada Shipping Program.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles They took freaking 3 weeks to return to sender packages supposed to be shipped in a 2-4 business standard.

Hmm.

Were you the seller?

Were they being returned because the PO could not delivery them?

What service was being used?

Because if they were being returned as Undeliverable, eBay does not require the seller to refund anything. The buyer is required to provide a useable address.

If the buyer simply marked the shipment "return to sender" those packages would be a very low priority for the shipper.

Canada Post will not be on strike, but the postal workers will not cross picket lines.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Only rarely am i not able to find the item i want cheaper elsewhere.

The Canadian dollar is way down compared to a few years ago, because the USD is much stronger as their economy recovers from the trumpian nonsense.

Something that would cost $10 USD/$12.50 Cdn in April 2021 is now $13.40.

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=CAD&view=5Y

compared to the often ridiculous postage and import fees charged by the GSP...

The GSP was charging postage and import fees made up of duty and sales taxes(mostly the latter) before the seller was even told to ship.

Many buyers lumped the import fees in with the shipping cost.

alhough GSP rates and import fees did seem to get much better shortly before it was phased out.

Canada now has a new NAFTA (CUSMA) which has raised our duty free allowance from $20Cdn to $150Cdn. The tax free allowance rose at the same time to $40, from $20.

Canada Post tends to ignore low value imports as does CBSA, since assessing and collecting would cost more than could be collected.

But couriers like Pitney Bowes/GSP (and UPS and FedEx) must collect quite miniscule amounts. The rise in duty/tax free allowances makes them seem more reasonable.

GSP did have one of the lowest service fees, though at ~$5USD. Canada Post charges $9.95 and couriers start at $25.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@rocketscollectibles wrote:

I've been returned 4 packages shipped with lettermail yesterday, those orders were from 3 weeks ago. They took freaking 3 weeks to return to sender packages supposed to be shipped in a 2-4 business standard. 

Delivery standards are just that: for delivery.  Returns don't factor into delivery standards as they're a low priority for Canada Post.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

I mean i sold things. I shipped the orders 3 weeks ago with lettermail. 4 of those packages were refused and returned to me. It was mostly QC to ON shipments. And i received the packages back only yesterday. They took 3 weeks to return to sender domestic lettermail. 

Delivery standards are just that: for delivery.  Returns don't factor into delivery standards as they're a low priority for Canada Post.

They are but we should expect domestic lettermail returned to senders to be returned in way less than 3 weeks. There was an issue for sure. 

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

bad--45
Community Member

Update opened a case today item was lost a shipping hub getting a refund from eBay.

mod's can close this thread thanks for all the replies.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply