Ebay.ca is presently telling all potential international buyers that I will not ship to them.

I am a long time top rated seller.

I received an email from an American in North Carolina (we ship to all US addresses, including his), that my ebay auction, has a message on it that I will not ship to his address.

Upon investigation, all my Good Till Cancelled and Auction listings, only give a shipping price to Canadian addresses.   Everywhere on the planet is blank, and I assume those potential buyers are also being told I will not ship to them.

I had a similar experience with a batch of 10 auctions about a month ago.   Ebay assured me the problem would be fixed by the end of the auctions  - it wasn't.   I got much lower final auction prices as a result

I then started another batch of 10 day auctions.    This time at least one of them was affected.   I discovered the affected auction because a potential US bidder wrote to me asking if he could get me to ship to him!    He wrote to me in the last 24 hours, so I was unable to cancel the auction.   I started the auction at $9.99 and it was still at that price, even though it was a camera that should get lots of interest, and sell for about $80.   I phoned ebay, and they acknowledged the problem, but they refused to end the auction.   The item ended for just $15.50 - no doubt because ebay had sabotaged the auction by telling all potential international bidders that I would not ship to them.    Ebay did tell me this problem would be fixed within a day or two.

I then started another batch of 10 day auctions.    When I started them, they seemed to be working.    But now its even worse.    All my listings are only giving shipping rates to Canadain addresses, and as far as I can tell, all potential international bidders are being told by ebay in bold Red Letters, that I will not ship to them.

Luckily I have enough time to cancel my auctions, which I will do in the morning after talking with ebay.

Hopefully the solution will be to relist on ebay.com 

If you have auctions currently in ebay.ca, I encourage you to look and see if anyone outside of Canada is receiving a shipping rate, and/or if they are being told you will not ship to them.

Message 1 of 172
latest reply
171 REPLIES 171

Re: Ebay.ca is presently telling all potential international buyers that I will not ship to them.

Given that your sales for Feb todate (feb 1-16, 2018) seem to be all of C$436.25, and you apparently havn't noticed a change in your sales, it might be because your sales are so low already that you might not notice.
Message 121 of 172
latest reply

Re: Ebay.ca is presently telling all potential international buyers that I will not ship to them.

Is that supppsed to be rude? Or please do explain your intentions if not.
Message 122 of 172
latest reply

My intention is to communicate what I wrote.

You seem to be repeating how this issue is not affecting your sales, in reply to those who are seeing drastic reductions in sales. Given that you have very low sales (what you've had so far all month, is a bad day for me), it explains why you've not noticed the sales impact others with much higher sales have experienced. Its much the same as someone with zero sales saying it doesn't seem to be affecting them! Well it seems to be affecting everyone else, and having you respond that its not a problem at your end, is annoying and misleading given your sales volume.
Message 123 of 172
latest reply

Since it seems that you care enough to analyze my business and do your own math, I’ll indulge you. My USA and outside-Canada sales have been steady. It’s the domestic ones that have fallen off over the past two weeks as they periodically do.

But I take serious issue with your comment, attitude and tone. I’m here to help. You and other users, im not wading through your private data trying to make you look stupid, so where do you get the idea it’s acceptable to do that to me?

Extremely poor judgement.
Message 124 of 172
latest reply

Good luck and goodbye.
Message 125 of 172
latest reply

Finally, since you seem determined to undermine my credibility and/or business here:

1. The 'free' shipping aspect of my listings is irrelevant; that's for domestic orders which are not affected by this Calculated Postage glitch as you well know.

2. The Sold Items by seller was reported as incomplete data several months ago and has been periodically glitchy ever since so it's not a reliable source of snooping through other sellers' sales performance which you'd already know if you were around here at the time and,

3. Finally, I sell TOYS in case you haven't noticed with a unit price well below whatever it is that you sell. Your $465 in two items sold is not the same as my 23. 'A bad day' indeed. You're comparing apples to avocados. 

If you're going to pass yourself off as a business analyst, you need to get your facts straight, particularly when you begin to make judgements about another seller's sales performance about which you know nothing. 

Got it? 

Good. Bye. 

Message 126 of 172
latest reply

Many of her listings have free shipping within Canada but the calculator problem is with international shipping, not domestic.

Message 127 of 172
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 128 of 172
latest reply

Hello, tyler@ebay

I would like you to pass on the following information to the folks working on this issue.

I have done more testing today and it seems that If I combine "Canada Post Small Packet - USA - air" with any other International shipping option then it breaks the shipping calculator. If I have only the "Canada Post Small Packet - USA - air"  option then it works, or if I have any other International options alone then it works, if I combine the two then it breaks. It appears to be broken since January15th or 16th, which coincides with the rate changes from Canada Post for that service.

If you could pass that on it would be helpful.

Thanks for any help or updates you are able to provide, its has been over a month with this issue with no time given for resolution and no updates from eBay on the cause or resolution. very frustrating and extremely poor customer service on eBay's part. I suspect this issue affects many of its Canadian sellers.

Message 129 of 172
latest reply

I had some time this morning so I called eBay support about the issue.

#1, I was cut off during a phone transfer, this seems to happen far too often and is very annoying 🙂

#2, they are aware of the issue, but not aware of the possible relation to the Canada Post rate change for "Canada Post Small Packet USA air.

#3, they offered no solution, no fee rebate, no time for resolution and no cause.

#4, they offered to have someone contact me for a follow up.

So from what I can tell, the call was a total waste of my time, and while eBay are aware of an issue they apparently do not know exactly what this issue is, nor when it will be resolved.

I used to be very happy with eBay and their customer service, that is now no longer the case as I feel this is very poor customer service. 

Message 130 of 172
latest reply

Thank you for sharing. I think your tag to to tyler didn't quite register, there should be an @ in front of it all like

tyler@ebay

Message 131 of 172
latest reply

(Okay, so that prefacing @ turns invisible but the tag itself will show blue. And that's when you know it worked.) 

Message 132 of 172
latest reply

Totally agree. A LOT of time wasted on this and something that should be fixed immediately or in days. Reading the posts it looks like it has been going on a lot longer than I thought - I have not been selling much in the last couple of months. Workarounds proposed here are not really solutions if buyers won't see a proper shipping cost if any, and will skip listings or not find them in searches. Going to the effort of calculating fixed prices for everything for all global locations and adding to the listing would be another (and another fabulous waste of time and effort).

Is eBay really doing anything or trying? Or are they letting sellers using Canada Post die off and leave for some "strategic" reason (Much like the troubles with PayPal shipping before they moved it to Shippo).

My workaround for now is to add a note to each listing. Not at all happy about it, but I can see no other way, if or until eBay fixes it.

******* NOTE THE EBAY SHIPPING CALCULATOR IS BROKEN ******* DOES NOT SHOW SHIPPING AVAILABLE, AND I MAY ONLY HAVE AN EXPENSIVE OPTION THAT SHOWS UP RATHER THAN CHEAPER OPTIONS! I WILL OF COURSE SHIP TO US AND WORLDWIDE AT MY COST! PLEASE CONTACT ME TO CONFIRM SHIPPING ***********

Message 133 of 172
latest reply

After doing some deeper reading, I found a post that goes back to the end of October of 2017 which states a seller noticed this problem start mid-October. This is not official, mind you. Sellers on the French side of ebay Canada had been complaining of a problem similar to this since the summer. Are they all the same problem? Different problems? Are some user-generated problems? We don't know.

Another thing I don't know is the reason this is taking as long to fix as it has been broken. Calculated Shipping is a fundamental tool for ebay.ca sellers.

Workaround options? Tell your buyers to Add to Cart to check postage costs for Fixed Price listings, or remove Air Parcel service from Auctions to see the other postage costs displayed properly for USA and international destinations. 

I can tell you, however, that if you attempt to (temporarily) remove Air Parcel from listings as a workaround, please take note that doing so via Bulk Edit will not actually save the changes.

This is a bug with the Bulk Editor;  I've experienced this phenomena in the past with bulk editor bulk changes to international postage options, you can make the changes but they won't take. (It's been like this for probably two to three years, luckily I have few reasons to do a massive bulk edit of that field of data.) You have to make the changes via old fashioned Revise Item one at a time, or using Bulk Editor but selecting the items One at a Time. Of course, if you have items of varying sizes/valued selected, you might want to do it that way anyway.

Either way, it presents a very time-consuming workaround, and one that is not ideal if you rely on sales to countries served only by Air Parcel. And one you'd need to undo when the Shipping Calculator is fixed. 

For now, I'm removing Air Parcel service from my Auctions only, as Add to Cart for Buy It Now (BIN) format listings shows postage as it should for international buyers looking to purchase BIN items. My business model doesn't rely on Auctions, they are mostly an after-thought here. And, as I've stated earlier, my outside-Canada sales don't seem to be affected by this problem as significant as it is, since I use Buy It Nows and Good Till Cancelled listings. Oddly, my domestic sales are the ones that have done a steep decline in recent weeks but those are not affected by the glitch. That drop in domestic sales does, however, occur periodically in my category. If the problem truly began in October, it didn't affect my toy sales over the holiday at all. 

Message 134 of 172
latest reply

Also, I suggest you return to ebay Canada Community on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning to add your voice to the list of Canadian sellers calling for a fix to this as part of the Weekly Chat with ebay staff. Tyler, the ebay staffer, opens the thread on Tuesday evening sometime for users to ask their questions for him to answer when he returns on Wednesday morning. 

Message 135 of 172
latest reply

Thanks. I will come back on Tue/Wed. Tyler's ears must be burning these days! Hope he can help get this resolved quickly.

Message 136 of 172
latest reply

Yes, do come. In my experiences, Tyler has been very helpful in cutting quickly through the bureaucracy to get to the heart of the matter when a complex problem is at hand, but there are limits of course to what he can do. Having him available, however, to hear our concerns is invaluable, and he really does try to do whatever he says he's going to do, not just offer empty assurances. He's stand-up. 

Message 137 of 172
latest reply

I've been trying this. I've discovered that if you use Canadapost Tracked Packet International AND Canadapost Xpresspost International. In that order. AND the item is the correct size/weight that it could go by Canadpost Tracked Packet International. Ebay excludes Canadapost Tracked Packet International as a shipping option. ie, two international tracked methods, accepted by Ebay, but Ebay excludes the cheaper one, and only shows buyers the most expensive one. How's that for Ebay obstructing international sales from ebay.ca
Message 138 of 172
latest reply

@westcoastart2wrote:
I've been trying this. I've discovered that if you use Canadapost Tracked Packet International AND Canadapost Xpresspost International. In that order. AND the item is the correct size/weight that it could go by Canadpost Tracked Packet International. Ebay excludes Canadapost Tracked Packet International as a shipping option. ie, two international tracked methods, accepted by Ebay, but Ebay excludes the cheaper one, and only shows buyers the most expensive one. How's that for Ebay obstructing international sales from ebay.ca

This has not been my experience. I'm not seeing what you describe with my listings, and I've opted to ship via Tracked Packet since it was introduced. As to the shipping cost shown up top and in search, ebay always choses the first one the seller established in their item listing form order since ebay is assuming it is that shipment method which is preferred. 

Also, don't overlook the weight limit for Tracked Packet to USA is one kg whereas it is 2 kg for international Tracked Packet. There is also a volumetric limit at play but I can't reference that from the top of my head. 

Message 139 of 172
latest reply

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/232668312672

C $46.53 Denmark Canada Post Tracked Packet - International Estimated Delivery within 7-11 business days C $77.73 Denmark Canada Post Xpresspost - International Varies for items shipped from an international locationC $46.53 Denmark Canada Post Tracked Packet - International Estimated Delivery within 7-11 business days C $77.73 Denmark Canada Post Xpresspost - International Varies for items shipped from an international location

Message 140 of 172
latest reply