Am I responsible to refund shipping

jcd931
Community Member

Good morning, all.  My buyer first of all opened a request for a refund because they said they didn’t receive the item, even though tracking showed as delivered.  I sent an email to them advising them to check with neighbors, look behind doors, did someone else in the house accept the delivery, etc.  The buyer closed that request.  Then the buyer opened an “ordered by mistake  return request” stating  “I didn t realize the item was this size. I was looking at it on my phone and only half the photos would show. So I didn t know the measurements. From the photos I thought it was alot bigger then it is. Now looking at the ad on my computer, I can see the measurements but when I bought it I was under the impression it was much bigger.”  Item was returned and I refunded the buyer the full amount plus her shipping costs.  The buyer messaged me this morning.  “Hi there, I got the refund for the product price, which I appreciate. But I had to pay $19 to ship it back and my understanding according to eBay policy was that the seller either provided a paid return label, or refunded the shipping upon return. That's why I had sent earlier photos of my receipt with the shipping amount paid.”

My question before I respond to the buyer is this – do I owe the buyer a refund for her cost to ship the item back to me?  Will she be able to leave me negative feedback if I don’t return her cost to ship back to me?

Thanks for your help on this. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Am I responsible to refund shipping

marnotom!
Community Member

You are not responsible for covering the shipping for a remorse return, which is the type of return that your buyer made.  In fact, you don't even have to refund the buyer's original shipping cost.

You may want to politely refer your buyer to this information page on the Money Back Guarantee:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

I can't remember if the buyer can still leave any sort of feedback for you for a sale where a return is involved, though.  I'm sure an active seller will pop in soon and clarify that.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I'm surprised they can open more than one case against a given transaction.

I might be wrong but I believe the buyer CAN leave negative feedback once a case like this is closed.

The good news is that after applying marnotoms advice, if the buyer does leave negative feedback, you can minimalize the impact by simply replying to it professionally with something like "Buyer returned item purchased "by mistake", promptly received full refund as per eBay policy". Negative feedbacks don't count against us and aside from the emotional response they give us, as long as we respond professionally other buyers that read them can see that we respond professionally. I suppose something like "After failed INR buyer returned item purchased "by mistake" and promptly received full refund as per eBay policy" is also true and likely ok, it might be more appropriate depending on what the buyer says, customization will depend on what they come up with.

I'm assuming they were already blocked!

As an addendum, based on what I've seen in other frustrating situations like this in other threads, if they do leave negative feedback, it might be worth contacting eBay given you have done everything you were supposed to and the buyer started off with a "false" INR they might zap it for you in that situation....

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

It depends on the nature of the case(s).  When you think about it, it makes perfect sense to be able to file a "remorse" or "item not as described" case after closing an "item not received case" because the item was finally received.  Receiving the item wouldn't make it ineligible for further cases, otherwise buyers wouldn't be able to file INRs, etc. for items that they received with no issues!  😄

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

@ricarmic wrote:

It depends on the nature of the case(s).  When you think about it, it makes perfect sense to be able to file a "remorse" or "item not as described" case after closing an "item not received case" because the item was finally received.  Receiving the item wouldn't make it ineligible for further cases, otherwise buyers wouldn't be able to file INRs, etc. for items that they received with no issues!  😄

Going by the OP the INR was definetly filed in error. Customer located and then went with the did not fit/see all the pictures scenario. It's too bad what used to be in place is still no longer in place...where buyers were making a commitment to purchase and that they had read all the pertinent details attached to a listing before hitting the buy now button. Causing many more INAD's than there ever were in the past. This is just another example.

-Lotz

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@marnotom! Yep makes a lot of sense! Morning coffee must have worn off too soon!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

At this point they don't need to contact customer service. It's clear that it was a remorse return and that they don't have to pay return shipping.   If they had charged for original shipping, they didn't have to refund that either.

@jcd931 If the buyer does leave a negative, you can report the buyer for expecting something that was not part of the purchase/return. Then you could ask ebay to remove the negative.  They may or may not remove it. 

Unless it something fairly obvious such as a coin, it's usually a good idea to put measurements in the listing. I always put them in the item specifics.  Buyers do not always read that information but some will.  It's just a way of being proactive so that people know exactly what they are buying.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply