Ebay shows package missent and buyer says it is returned...

Ok so I sold some shoes that I sent to Philadelphia, PA on march 24. I used the exact address as was on Ebay and cross referenced it with the paypal and shippo address it is the same (also added buyers phone number from shippo). Checked the address on google maps and it exists and is a house with a one door with that house number. Purchased a Tracked packet -USA via snap ship.
Ebay tracking was showing “Missent”on two occasions and it was located at the delivery office with the same postal code as the buyer 3 times! Now it started tracking yesterday as arriving to Jamaica international distribution center . The buyer said they went to the post office and they have been told it is returning to canada...
The tracking is LE010504793CA
What the hell could have happened exactly???
The buyer messaged me yesterday night about going to post office. I immediately created a case with canada post and another one with the USPS. Today the new tracking on ebay is “package research case is created”

Usually I never had any issues with USPS. It’s weird it would not be delivered it was in their USPS facility with their postal code only since March 31. Suddenly it’s going to sender?

Short story: shoes sent to USA and now being returned to me. What happened?

Ebay tracking link https://ibb.co/1JQs4HT
Tracking LE010504793CA
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Ebay shows package missent and buyer says it is returned...

It might be a good idea if you haven't already, to check the updates on USPS directly.

In my experience their updates are sometimes misleading, even things like returning to sender are not accurate and the item is ultimately delivered. (checking the updates on Canada Post are even worse for misleading versions of the tracking updates for stuff in the US).

Not saying you don't have a problem, now that you've opened a tracking case, that may yeild better answers regarding what's going on....

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Yes I check all three sources regularly.
Hopefully they will intercept it before it leaves international distribution.
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

it's possible the label got damaged. Happened to me once, although you'd think with trackable items they'd be able to figure it out regardless... 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

FWIW.

If a shipment is Undeliverable, which USPS seems to think yours is, your buyer is not covered by the Money Back Guarantee.

In other words, you are probably going to get the shipment back eventually, and you don't have to refund her.

Now ethically....

When you do get the shipment back (but not before) you should be contacting her to clear things up. Perhaps she wants to buy again. Perhaps you will be refunding the purchase price but not the shipping costs and assorted fees.

PS-- Is there a large black dog with orange eyebrows chained in the front yard? Sometimes "undeliverable" is not as evident as you might think.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

According to the USPS site the package left the Jamaica NY center this morning and is on its way to its destination. I don't see anything to suggest that it is being sent back to you.  It did go back and forth between the PA and NY centers so I suspect that is what the missent is referring to.  I would ask the buyer to check on usps to show them that it looks as if it is still on its way to them.  If the buyer actually opens a case,  you might want to contact ebay to see if they will put a hold on the case since there was a recent tracking update. 

I looked at one your current listings and it shows that tracked packet has an eta of 6-9 business days...that's including your handling time of 2 business days so in reality it is showing that it will be delivered in 4-7 bus. days.  Whenever I've used tracked packet US it shows a delivery time of 10 business days which seems a bit long but perhaps closer to reality.  You might want to switch to a generic term such as standard international which has a 5-10 bus. day eta plus your handling time. That's what I use and it seems to work fairly well.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Can you forward me the source of that? I didn’t find it in the rules
“ If a shipment is Undeliverable, which USPS seems to think yours is, your buyer is not covered by the Money Back Guarantee.”
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Hi I typically extend the handling times to the maximum. But since I input the measurements to give an exact quote I need to put the correct method otherwise I get paid less for shipping.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Tracked packet USA is only based on weight and not on dimensions or distance.   If I send a 100 gram package from AB to California it will cost the same price as a 100 gram package to Florida.   The only time you really need calculated shipping for small packet or tracked packet is if you are also shipping overseas as the rates do vary country by country.   Expedited and Xpresspost USA  prices are based on weight, dimensions and distance.

You have to make sure that the package is within the maximum dimensions for whichever service you are using but you don't really calculated shipping for that.   It is probably easier for you to use calculated rather than figure out what a specific weight would cost to the US and that's fine but it does shorten your delivery times.

Did you check the USPS tracking?

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I offer international shipping as well that’s why I want to have the dimensions because it varies a lot from country to country.
Yes I check usps regularly. I Hope the “destination” is the recipient on my package not the sender. The buyer inquired and they said they are shipping it out back to me through the international distribution center
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member
Agree with the comments that you should be checking the tracking information on the USPS website and even the Canada Post website. Based on what I saw of the tracking on the two sites, you don’t seem to have anything to get concerned about at this point.
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

The USPS tracking would say that the item couldn't be delivered and then it would say being returned to sender.  I don't see anything on there to indicate that the item is being sent back..at least not yet.

Before I wrote the one post I clicked on your listings and the one I clicked on had shipping to Canada and the US only so that's why I thought that you didn't ship elsewhere. Now I see listings with worldwide shipping

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

This is the part I'm referring to.

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item
Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyer
Not covered
The buyer arranged their own shipping method, such as a courier pickup
Not covered
The buyer provided an invalid or incorrect address at checkout
Not covered

I don't know how to do screenshots.  There is a LOT of information on that page.

The "courier pickup" is interesting, since there is a scam where the buyer wants to send his own courier label (which actually belongs to his employer). Haven't seen that one for a while.

The same page covers the "customs office" scam, where the buyer says he hasn't received a shipment which is actually being held for payment of duty.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I honestly have no hope that this package will ever arrive 😞

It is going back and forth in a limbo like the package is stuck in the groundhog day movie

so far it has been at Jamaica international distribution center 4 times.

It arrived to PA network distribution 3 times ...

I bet now it's going to PA again to go back to Jamaica... endless loop . -.-

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

That's frustrating!  Have you tried contacting usps? I have no idea if it woukd help but might be worth a try.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

YES .. I contacted USPS after over a hour of wait on hold they told me they don't make any research cases for first class internaitonal packages 

I bougt tracked USA with canada post it looks like canada post used the cheap USPS service sending it to the recipient . I had no idea it was possible though...

Anyways the only recourse I have is canada post dealing with this...

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Right...If it never arrives CP should pay out the insurance.

It makes sense that tracked packet would be classified as first class international as both services are the least expensive tracked service.  I doubt that is a Canada Post decision...it's just the way the system is set up.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Anyways the package seems to be lost ....

Canada post just refunded me the shipping cost and the insurance (my item was underinsured) 

I typically take insurance to cover but this one time I was like ehh all my packages make it so why pay more lol lololololo

But they just don't know what happened. may or may not arrive

LE010504793CA

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

@luckylegend wrote:

Anyways the package seems to be lost ....

Canada post just refunded me the shipping cost and the insurance (my item was underinsured) 

I typically take insurance to cover but this one time I was like ehh all my packages make it so why pay more lol lololololo

But they just don't know what happened. may or may not arrive

LE010504793CA

Latest scan for your parcel with usps is May 6. It may still get to where it was supposed to go.....eventually.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=LE010504793CA

-Lotz

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Hope you have a cookie jar to cover the difference! 🍪

Message 20 of 20
latest reply