Making ridiculous offers.......

I don't have many items with the make an offer options but seems like every day there is someone making a with a ridiculous offer on something.

The last one today an offer of 25.00 usd for an item listed 69.99 usd. The person said that it was overpriced and that he had bought Cups and Saucers before for that price. 

Now I try to be competitive with my prices and fair. That is not a common set that I know and to be offered that little for it felt really demeaning. Sorry maybe I am a little touchy today, I am sick. 

Told the person that the price wasn't up for discussion and thanked him for enquiring. Than I proceeded to block him.

I guess I just needed to vent. 

But if there is no make an offer for an item, why make one. Should that mean that the price I am asking is what I want?

When You go into a store You can't ask to make an offer on things that they sell. It just doesn't make sense. Unless you are at a place where it is ok to do so.

Thanks for listening

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I've had offers of $50 against an item priced at $999.99

Normally I consider that a blessing that they tipped their hand at being a future problem and I just block them. (My experience has been that when one sells something that's worth $10 for .99c to one person and $12 to another, more often than not the complainer is the one that got it for 99c)

Same as for people who take time out of their busy days to try to help you price your items, just ignore them.

It's your stuff, you know what you consider the appropriate price and don't sweat those folks.....

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Ya I get them all the time.

When I get one that says: "I can get it $70 cheaper with another seller". I email them back and tell them: "man that's a good deal - you should get it. And then usually: " give me the sellers name or a link so can get one to".

Usually I don't hear back.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Alot of buyers on eBay have a flea market mentality and think sellers will part with their items for a fraction of the price.

I've had offers of 10.00 on a 175.00 item, so I just block them and ignore....

Some buyers live in a different reality and are not conscious of market value.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

In my more innocent days I used to be polite and respond, but given I don't ever recall a stupid low offer ever turning out to generate a sale, I simply ignore the offers now.

Having said that, what's been happening lately is the stupid low offer ignored generates a 2nd only slightly less stupid offer when the first one expires. In those situations I respond simply with the fact that I cannot offer a discount and depending how grumpy I am that day I block them.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@silverpinups wrote:

Alot of buyers on eBay have a flea market mentality and think sellers will part with their items for a fraction of the price.

I've had offers of 10.00 on a 175.00 item, so I just block them and ignore....

Some buyers live in a different reality and are not conscious of market value.

The thing that does confuse me is there has to be a reason why they do it - theoretically unless they are a perpetual optimist that "this will be the one" at some point someone must have reacted positively to a very very low offer......

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

The thing that does confuse me is there has to be a reason why they do it - theoretically unless they are a perpetual optimist that "this will be the one" at some point someone must have reacted positively to a very very low offer......

Yes, those type of buyers are gambling that for every 100 low-ball offers they'll snag one or two..... but will end up pissing off the majority of Sellers and limit their chances of buying successfully on eBay.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I once low balled a seller at about 60% of his asking price. He got back to me with this:

THIS IS NOT A SALE!

I actually thought that was pretty good.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

The person said that it was overpriced and that he had bought

Oh yeah, that's an immediate Block.

A polite enquiry gets a polite response, but a sneer gets a sneer.

There is a way of automatically turning down offers that are too low. I don't get many offers (my stuff is very cheap to begin with) so I'm not sure how it works. The seller never sees the offer and doesn't need as many Tums.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

You have some beautiful items in your store, and I think they are very well priced. Personally, I rarely take an offer unless it is close, or includes several items. I had an item in my store for $89.99, and the same person asked several times to purchase it for $30. I told her that I would prefer to keep it rather than sell at that price. I kept it at the original price, and after a while it sold at that.

Don't undersell yourself.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

That reminds me of a funny true story that happened to me a few years ago.  

I had a table at a flea market and was selling a leather wallet in great condition for $5.00.  A lady came by and said that she wanted a deal and would pay me $2.00 for it.  I told her that $5.00 was my price.  She kept coming back and said you still have it I will pay you $2.00 as I want a deal.  Now part of the problem was the way she was offering me, it was insulting.  So what I did was repriced the item to $7.00 and she came around again and said you have raised the price.  I said well now you pay $5.00 and you will have a deal.  She bought it for $5.00.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I get low offers almost every day - the record offer was 2 dol. for a 120 dol. item. Some ask about free shipping, eg. a buyer from Saskatchewan asked to ship a 10 dol. item for free. The cost of shipping to his town was 17 dol. But remember - ALL offer is always a GOOD news, because your item will get a boost in search after receiving an offer! 😉

Message 12 of 12
latest reply