Sales have tanked ….don’t know why!

Hello guys, my sales over the last year, at the very least, have tanked to the lowest they have ever been.

I promote some of my listings but don't think it does much. On one of my smaller accounts I have promoted all my items 20% to see if they show up in search or make more sales....nothing to show. 
Going back to this account I do sales nothing, I list more still nothing. I run a sales where I put over half of my store 40% off and only three people bought something. The majority of the pieces on sale had viewers and still no sales. Which brings me to the conclusion that probably thise viewers are competitors just keeping watch on things and not really prospective buyers .

Can you guys give me a clue on what I can do next to improve my sales? maybe you can look at my listings and tell me if the titles are ok, if my items show in search? Anything that could help me would be appreciated. 
Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Sales have tanked ….don’t know why!

2023 has been a year in which many sellers have seen a decrease in their sales...

Have you checked & researched just how many of your type/category of items are listed on eBay?

and how many are still selling? and at what price?

There tends to be cycles to everything...

Supply & demand ...perhaps the supply is now superseding the demand...

Trends come, trends go...

Buyer habits change...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I think the market right now is very poor for things like cards and many types of collectibles in general. Your sales DO look rather low for the size of your store though.  Here are some general suggestions:

1. I'd suggest promoting everything at least at 2% just for the extra theoretical visibility. 

2. Do some eBay searches for some of your items and see what other people are listing (and selling) those items for. Maybe you're simply priced too high, or maybe they're not selling for anyone right now. Also see where your items show up in the search.

3. Check your shipping and other policies and make sure everything is still okay. I spotted a few items that (probably) would go out expedited lite. That's a massive difference in price. Also make sure you have no missing required item specifics.

4. Look at your listings quality report (found under Performance -> Summary). There may be some good tips there.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Many sellers saw a significant increase in sales when COVID pushed the world further sideways in early 2020, and now a lot of sellers are expressing concern about slower sales.  I think part of what we're seeing is an "overcorrection" of sorts of buying patterns spurred on by people wanting to make more in-person purchases but also being more cautious about non-discretionary purchases due to inflation spiking.

There's some interesting discussion in the first few pages of this thread from the .com discussion boards:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Where-are-the-customers-WHY-aren-t-we-getting-any-sales-lately...

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

My sales have also tanked.  Part of why is what I sell, for what I am selling for and high shipping costs (doubled for the US).  I think that it has to do more with the state of the economy, rents/mortgages are high, food costs are high, gas prices are high.  I remember the same thing happened in 2007 - 2009.  I was doing well from 2002 and then not.  I think that there are just not the buyers on ebay as there was.   The retail stores are empty except for the thrift stores, they are busy.  I don't expect it to pick up the the rest of this year and into next year.   I have been doing OK on facebook marketplace.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

My sales have also tanked.  Part of why is what I sell, for what I am selling for and high shipping costs (doubled for the US).  I think that it has to do more with the state of the economy, rents/mortgages are high, food costs are high, gas prices are high.  I remember the same thing happened in 2007 - 2009.  I was doing well from 2002 and then not.  I think that there are just not the buyers on ebay as there was.   The retail stores are empty except for the thrift stores, they are busy.  I don't expect it to pick up the the rest of this year and into next year.   I have been doing OK on facebook marketplace.

On a personal front sales totally tanked for the month of September. A total of 5 sales. 2 on the 11th and 2 on 23rd. Everything seems to be in waves if you can call 2 orders a wave. Majority sales as of late have been best offer with any additional offers that have shown up have been crazy lowball. 2% promotion gets next to nothing compared to when it was first offered. Small volume sellers cannot afford to use high promotion rates. Just how it is.

Because US buyers, unless they need something they can't find elsewhere they base their purchases on the shipping they are seeing. If the shipping seems to high they just go elsewhere. Important to note many US sellers are able to offer either free or very low shipping to US buyers. (Not the same choice to Canadian buyers.) When you throw in the competion and Prime makes it very difficult for us Canadian sellers to compete. 

This showed up in my mail to today.:

Lower rates for southbound shipping with Tracked Packet™ to USA

Similar to Canada Post Expedited Lite for domestic shipments, Canadian sellers can now enjoy the benefits of the Canada Post Tracked Packet™– USA service at much lower rates.

Well and good if we had the capability to display this discounted rates. Very difficult when each shipping option has a different discount attached to it. We need the option to be able to show buyers discounted shipping to attract business so Canadian buers get/see the benefit vs the inflated counter rate. A note in the listing does not work that a discount "may or could" apply. It was mentioned a few months ago that this capability was in the works. I believe US sellers can do it. There has been crickets since on the subject on the Canadian side. Doesn't make it a very fair playing field until we can too.

devon@ebay 

Is the option for Canadian sellers to show discounted rates coming to Canada anytime soon? This is a necessity. To give sellers access to these NON COUNTER rates but not be able to display them is extermely frustrating considering how long these rates have been in affect. Unfortunately all we seem to see is we'll look into these concerns with zero follow up. 

-Lotz

To confirm this is still a problem, I checked 1 current listing where I have USA tracked as an option. As per calculated shipping displays as 16.01. As per the eBay email 6.35. A 10.00 difference that buyers DO NOT SEE.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I'd just use flat rate for the USA services in question. Remember to add the fuel surcharge. It definitely IS an issue that needs addressing though, along with the **bleep** country of origin. That one in particular I can't believe hasn't been addressed yet. It's probably one line of code.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@musicyouneed wrote:

On a personal front sales totally tanked for the month of September. A total of 5 sales. 2 on the 11th and 2 on 23rd. Everything seems to be in waves if you can call 2 orders a wave. Majority sales as of late have been best offer with any additional offers that have shown up have been crazy lowball. 2% promotion gets next to nothing compared to when it was first offered. Small volume sellers cannot afford to use high promotion rates. Just how it is.

Because US buyers, unless they need something they can't find elsewhere they base their purchases on the shipping they are seeing. If the shipping seems to high they just go elsewhere. Important to note many US sellers are able to offer either free or very low shipping to US buyers. (Not the same choice to Canadian buyers.) When you throw in the competion and Prime makes it very difficult for us Canadian sellers to compete. 

Similar to Canada Post Expedited Lite for domestic shipments, Canadian sellers can now enjoy the benefits of the Canada Post Tracked Packet™– USA service at much lower rates.

Well and good if we had the capability to display this discounted rates. Very difficult when each shipping option has a different discount attached to it. We need the option to be able to show buyers discounted shipping to attract business so Canadian buers get/see the benefit vs the inflated counter rate. A note in the listing does not work that a discount "may or could" apply. It was mentioned a few months ago that this capability was in the works. I believe US sellers can do it. There has been crickets since on the subject on the Canadian side. Doesn't make it a very fair playing field until we can too.

devon@ebay 

Is the option for Canadian sellers to show discounted rates coming to Canada anytime soon? This is a necessity. To give sellers access to these NON COUNTER rates but not be able to display them is extermely frustrating considering how long these rates have been in affect. Unfortunately all we seem to see is we'll look into these concerns with zero follow up. 

-Lotz

To confirm this is still a problem, I checked 1 current listing where I have USA tracked as an option. As per calculated shipping displays as 16.01. As per the eBay email 6.35. A 10.00 difference that buyers DO NOT SEE.

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I reached out the the Shipping team and this is what they had to share:

"We’re actively working on getting the added to eBay.ca. It’s a matter of prioritization. Hopefully we will be able to share some good news soon." 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Any news of PROPER receipts for any ebay labels purchased, Canadian Businesses need that information with tax paid on domestic shipments.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@regs43 wrote:

devon@ebay 

Any news of PROPER receipts for any ebay labels purchased, Canadian Businesses need that information with tax paid on domestic shipments.

Similar follow up answer required for current procedure in place with eBay for the length of time it takes to be charged for shipping labels. It's still all over the map and situations where new sellers are having to cover postage out of personal funds vs out of the transaction. As per the release notes of MP this was NOT supposed to EVER happen. 

-Lotz

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

devon@ebay wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@musicyouneed wrote:

devon@ebay 

-Lotz

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! I reached out the the Shipping team and this is what they had to share:

"We’re actively working on getting the added to eBay.ca. It’s a matter of prioritization. Hopefully we will be able to share some good news soon." 

devon@ebay 

Unsure why something like this would be low and not as equal as a priority for Canadian sellers. They need the same advantages as US sellers. Sometimes even more so.  In checking another potential sale shipping comparison. 25.00 item. Shipping with calculated would be 28.50. Shipping with the level 4 discount 23.50. Because the buyer couldn't view the discounted rate they went elsewhere.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 11
latest reply