Selling on ebay.com in USD with Managed Payments for Canadian sellers

Hello,

Could anyone clarify if Canadian sellers can still list on ebay.com in USD after we switch to MP?

Can we receive payout in USD either to US bank or Canadian bank with USD account?

Can we even list on ebay.com with MP or are we going to be limited to ebay.ca with listing in CAD?

What should sellers do who have a bunch of listings on ebay.com listed in USD?

I did call ebay support seeking answers to these questions and reply I received was rather vague, but overall it seems like we may be limited to selling on ebay.ca in CAD only after the switch is made to managed payments.

Maybe Tyler@ebay could provide more information on this topic.

Thanks

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Selling on ebay.com in USD with Managed Payments for Canadian sellers

We can get paid for .com sales in $C but there is a 3% conversion fee.  I don't know how difficult it would be for you to change currency now.  However, they are apparently setting up a way for us to deposit .com sales into a US$ account at a Canadian bank.  I don't know much about transferwise accounts or if they would qualify.

Message 41 of 105
latest reply

Bumping this topic as I'm in the same boat as many sellers here. I am a Canadian, with both .ca and .com listings. In the past I would sell a .com listing, receive USD, and have it deposited to my Paypal account in USD and then use that to buy USD products, or I could withdraw through Paypal to my Canadian bank or withdraw to my USA bank account and use Transferwise for the conversion.

Now with this new MP:

1. eBay won't let me add my USA bank account or allow adding ANY account not based in Canada as an option. If I'm registered in Canada, seems I can only add a Canadian bank for payouts.

2. I can't change my country of registration from Canada to USA since I don't have a Social Security number. Though for some reason the bank didn't seem to care when I was setting up a USA bank account, but eBay seems stricter and needs my SIN or SSN.

3. I have a Canadian bank account with USD checking account... and guess what, eBay won't even keep the USD from .com sales in USD and send it there, they insist on converting it plus a fee into CAD.

4. Why can't I just keep Paypal as a payout source like I always did. They'll let me use Paypal as a payment method, but not to receive money. What does eBay care if they're depositing the money into my bank account or my Paypal account? At least Paypal would/has received USD and held it in USD!

So basically MP sucks for me. They're forcing all of my payouts into my local currency and taking a fat cut, and not only do I not want money being deposited into my bank account since most of the time I would rather keep it where I'm going to be sending it out anyway for buying on eBay or other online payments rather than now having to send money from my bank account, they're also insisting that they convert it to the local currency and I'll inevitably have to convert it back to USD and someone else will take a nice currency cut.

Solutions would be:

Let me change my eBay registration to USA, without a SSN. Not likely to happen.

Let me add a USA based bank account to my profile for payouts, even though I'm registered with eBay on .ca. If I'm selling on .com, let me keep the money on .com and deposit it into a .com(ie USA) bank account!

Let me decide if I want to keep/hold USD IN USD instead of forcing me to convert it and with no option of choosing who converts it and at what rate.

Let me deposit money into Paypal like we've always done. Just because eBay and Paypal split, why are they only allowing Paypal as a payment method and not as a bank/holder of funds where I can deposit too?

Soooo frustrating. What a MESS.

Message 42 of 105
latest reply

Managed Payments is a work in progress and word from somewhat high up is that Canadian sellers will be able to attach US dollar accounts from Canadian financial institutions in the future.  Just not right now.  And we don't know at this point if Canadian sellers will be able to direct their Canadian dollar funds into Canadian dollar accounts at the same time.

Message 43 of 105
latest reply

Can someone explain this to me?

Won't let me post the link but it's under seller central, fees payments, managed payments and FAQ.

#m22_tb_a2__2

International Selling FAQ

How does international selling work?

If you offer to ship internationally, your listings may appear in buyer searches on supported international eBay sites. You may also limit the countries you ship to by selecting specific regions in your listing settings. You may create listings on select eBay sites outside of Canada, such as the United States and the United Kingdom. We will send your earnings from these sales to your checking account in US Dollars.

But.... they don't. They keep trying to convert the USD into CAD and then desposit it into my Canadian accounts, even if they're accounts in Canada that hold USD. So is the FAQ outdated?

Message 44 of 105
latest reply

Thanks for the info. That's better than nothing. Guess I'll hold out for that option if/when it happens. It's still more work ultimately compared to when we had Paypal, since I'll end up depositing this USD into my Canadian USD account, then sending that money back to a payment method like my Paypal account or somewhere to hold it or convert it later. I still don't really get why eBay is forcing people to deposit their sale money into a bank account. It would be easier if they just allowed us to add USA based banks for example. Or, once again, let us deposit into Paypal like we always did before.

Message 45 of 105
latest reply

Things have changed. Canadian sellers selling on .com can now choose which currency to be paid in. CAD or USD.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/usd-payouts.html

Finally someone was listening.

Message 46 of 105
latest reply

This is an old thread so I thought I would update it for you as changes have been made.

Canadian sellers can now sell in USD and be paid out in USD to a Canadian USD account.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/usd-payouts.html

Message 47 of 105
latest reply

I have a similar set up to you. USD to Paypal to Transferwise to CAD Bank. It's been working smoothly and I am happy with my current set up. eBay is now forcing me to switch to managed payments by the end of the month and I have many of the same worries as you. Was wondering if you ever figured out a good solution to this? I was thinking it'd be as simple as making my Transferwise $USD checking account as the bank account used to sign up for MP. Would this not work?

Message 48 of 105
latest reply

Hi ,

I am in a similar situation. I am registered .ca, but sell exclusively in USD on .com. I currently get paid USD into my Paypal which then transfers using transferwise which I can then transfer to a CAD bank account. Did you ever find a solution that works where you can keep running business as usual (.com sales in USD)???

Message 49 of 105
latest reply

I am a Canadian seller that sells on .com in USD. I am being forced to sign up for managed payments. When signing up, I AM allowed to choose to get paid out in USD but when adding my bank details will I be allowed to add a USD banking account like my Transferwise account to receive payments? If not, then that solution doesn't seem to solve anything. Unless there is an equivalent set up to Transferwise that I should be aware of?

Message 50 of 105
latest reply

You don't need to post the same question three times.

At the moment your attached bank account must be in a Canadian bank if you are registered with a Canadian eBay account.

You can have a Canadian bank account in USD attached to your Managed Payments account.

Message 51 of 105
latest reply

Since you are resident in Canada your Paypal would consider transfer from Ebay being international so fee is likely going ot be minimum 4% for transfering money to Paypal, no? That's not a small amount so unlikely a viable way forward either saving just potentially 2% while still having no control over funds in Paypal. Would rather have money in my bank. The issue here is really multicurrency deposits.

Message 52 of 105
latest reply

Any recommendations for inexpensive Canadian Bank USD account?

Scotiabank checking USD

minimum balance 200 USD is free

Optional Scotia Visa USD for 35 dollars

BMO Checking USD

minimum balance unknown but if maintained it is free

Optional BMO Mastercard USD for 35 dollars

If 1000 yearly transactions on the card then it's free

Any other suggestions for no-frills USD checking account with low or no fees?  We know Transferwise doesn't work right now.

Message 53 of 105
latest reply

Important to note:

Please note: You will not be able to change your payout currency after you register."

That's drastic restriction. If you remember back the old days you were able to change the currency every 12 months when you were on the eba.com accounts.

https://bill.ebay.com/sbc or https://bill.ebay.ca/sbc

Another restriction is .. "When you register for eBay as a business " or on invitation.

Assuming existing individual Canadian seller .COM accounts will still be getting the invitation, it could mean all new Canadian sellers must sign up for .CA accounts.

Hard to say.

Message 54 of 105
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

wrong thread

Message 55 of 105
latest reply

Since it may be relevant... I'm in Canada, I am registered to Canada. MP will only let me add a CAD bank account. I have a US dollar account at my bank (RBC) and that did NOT work. I sold something on .com, got paid in USD, so I thought they'd send USD. Nope. The payouts were still converted by eBay into CAD. I tried selecting my US dollar account, it bounced back. I have a USA bank account (RBC bank of Georgia). Can I add that? Nope, because it only lets me add a Canadian bank account. So can I change my account registration to USA based? Nope, because they demand a SS number which not being an American, I don't have. Oh, and not only are they just breaking up with Paypal, for some reason they won't even let me talk to PP. I can't add them as a payment. Why? Who knows?

So on the one hand, I get that for most people, having payments made to their bank account, but on the other hand if you're going to force me to register as a Canadian and only add a Canadian bank account, then why even let me sell on .com and force me to conver into CAD and deposit it right away into my account. At least let me hold the USD somewhere on my eBay account so I can use it later to buy USD items! This is so annoying. They force me to convert and cash out so I'll then have ot convert to buy something. At least with the Paypal connection I could receive USD and hold USD and then spend USD.

Message 56 of 105
latest reply

Did you select USD as your currency when you registered for MP?

I registered last week, selected USD as my currency and added my USD checking account.  Still waiting for activations, have not seen any test transactions hit the checking account yet. My MP is supposed to go live next week.

Message 57 of 105
latest reply

Did you get an email saying you were supposed to go active next week?  I registered on May 8th and have heard nothing since then. 

Message 58 of 105
latest reply

Yeap, I registered on the 17th and on the 18th I got this email:

eBay will assume management of your payments for you between May 24 & May 27. We will notify you again two business days in advance of your move, and one final time after your account is activated.

Message 59 of 105
latest reply

I too list eveything on eBay.com only. I just registered for MP today (May 25th). Setting up a US chequing account with RBC was very easy online. I suppose my eBay account was initially setup on .ca, so I followed the steps on .ca as the links directed. I selected USD as the payout method and was able to attach my new RBC US account without issue. No idea where to select a weekly payout method, but will look into that later.

What I'll miss is that with my PayPay payouts, when I cashed out, would arrive in my bank account literally hours later. This helped me out BIG TIME last year when unemployed for a bit. 

I'll likely post any issues here within this thread.

**Side note: how will eBay be wanting to have me pay my invoice for this month? I assume this one will still pull from PayPal (invoice dated for the 15th of May gets pulled either the 31st of May or June 1st). Going forward, I would imaging it will try to pull from available funds before cashing out, then the USD account attached?

Message 60 of 105
latest reply