Decided, on the last day, not to sign up for Managed Payments

After 21 years of selling on ebay.com, I have decided not to sign up for managed payments. 

I have enjoyed this platform for buying and selling over that time, but managed payments changes my experience so greatly, I have been forced to seek alternative buying and selling platforms. 

It all centers around not being able to receive funds in USD. You see, I use my sales to buy additional items on eBay.com in USD for my own collection (vintage baseball cards). Now, manged payments force conversion from USD to CAD, and then back to USD if I'd like to make a purchase. That's too much cost to absorb. 

I have been told eBay Canada is working on the ability for Canadians to receive their US sales in USD to their US Chequing account in Canada.

I am doubtful that will happen.  If PayPal couldn't do that, there isn't much chance eBay or their partners will be able to. They've had two years to find a solution to this, and they haven't.  So maybe they do figure out a way to deposit in USD. Can they then take out in USD for a new ebay.com purchase? Again, more doubts. And no answers from eBay. Why would I hand over my personal information with these details? The answer is, I wouldn't, and I won't. 

I do wish to thank eBay for 21 mostly great years. I wouldn't have the collection I do without you. The online world has changed, and you've made a business decision to move on from folks like me, but luckily there's a lot more choice out there these days. 

All the best to you and your employees  - Ryan 

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Re: Decided, on the last day, not to sign up for Managed Payments

I currently have four active IDs and three others, all but one of them feeding the same PP account.

Plus a couple from other venues.

Keeps all my online income together.

I suppose if I have four different eBay accounts and therefore four different MP accounts, at least I would not hit the fabled $20K in any account-- the one rumoured to be where PP reports income to CRA.

Since I pay taxes like a good little Canadian (and actually got a rebate this year!) this just makes tax time more difficult.

Message 21 of 48
latest reply

33nhl
Community Member

I just sihned up to this stupid payment system and think i wont be around much on ebay or will just have ot pass the extra cost to buyers.

Here is reason why hopefully i wrong

To me seems Ebay now since they combine the fees % of the sale and fee % from the shipping with the %fee on the funds transfered between buyer and seller and then  the seller gets charged tax on the entire amount of fees

Example old way 

item  sold $100 pay %10 fee plus tax

plus %10 fee on what ever shipping be

Now new payment system way

charged tax on the  sale of item fees and on the shipping fees and on the transction funds fee that ebay collects

PayPal would not charge tax on the fees such as the 0.39 transaction plus the fee on the total if it was say 100.00 paypal would take its 2.9%  but no tax be paid on it 

Now Ebay is charging tax on that amount

Unless my math work is incorrect

Message 22 of 48
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Where are you getting this information?  I don't recall eBay ever saying that their decision on rather US $ issue will depend on how many sellers are interested but you have stated that more than once.  

It seems that you haven't read my clarification/correction that closely, PJ.

Message 23 of 48
latest reply

I did ended up switching to MP only because I don't really sell anywhere else. I have been a casual seller ever since I started here, and I don't plan to invest any time or effort into another selling platform... I really don't like how MP doesn't have seperate "balance" like Paypal. I hate how I'll lose money over currency transaction fees because I use funds from USD sales for buying things in USD or for other international purchases. 

Message 24 of 48
latest reply

Im the same zee-chan. Maybe one day it will all by crypto and currency wont matter. 

Message 25 of 48
latest reply

I feel the same way too zee-chan. I'm just a casual seller. I thought I would postpone switching as long as I could, but since I did not sell a single thing in over a month... I'm beginning to think eBay hides my listings or prevents buyers from buying my stuff until I sign up. If I want to continue selling, I might not have a choice...

I'll just close all my US$ listings and transfer them on .ca. I prefer choosing my own price in C$ instead of giving an extra percentage to eBay in conversion fees. It really sucks though... would much prefer using those US$ to continue purchasing stuff.

Message 26 of 48
latest reply

The  other point about listing on dotCOM has been that we double the number of Free Listings we have when we do so.

Without a Store for example, we get 200 Free Listings on dotCA.  And then we can list another 250 Free Listings on dotCOM. I think but am not sure that we could also put 40 Free Listiings  on dotUK.

With On Vacation being allowed for non-Store sellers, it makes one wonder whether any Store is worth subscribing to.

I downgraded one of my IDs from Premium to Basic for just that reason.

Message 27 of 48
latest reply

"I’m not sure what personal information you’re uncomfortable with providing eBay seeing as they’ve got a lot on you on file already. The SIN issue should have been more or less put to rest some time ago."

Ebay does NOT, in fact, have our SIN numbers on file, otherwise I wouldn't have signed up. Asking our full names, addresses, bank details, SIN numbers is just an open door for fraud, identity theft and general misuse and selling of information.

The banks have our SINs, but they do not and are not allowed to provide them to ebay without consent, as per the privacy rights act.

Message 28 of 48
latest reply

Well here it is months later and they implemented. I honestly feel violated.. pp should still be an option... i hate this but its the only way i make a few bucks 😞 I still feel this is fishy.. on the cusp of not quite right imo

Message 29 of 48
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

The  other point about listing on dotCOM has been that we double the number of Free Listings we have when we do so.

Without a Store for example, we get 200 Free Listings on dotCA.  And then we can list another 250 Free Listings on dotCOM. I think but am not sure that we could also put 40 Free Listiings  on dotUK.

With On Vacation being allowed for non-Store sellers, it makes one wonder whether any Store is worth subscribing to.

I downgraded one of my IDs from Premium to Basic for just that reason.

Only current reasons I can see is supply coupon per quarter, store category organization , slightly lower FVF's plus mega free listings with basic store.

-Lotz

Message 30 of 48
latest reply

Although this post only dates back to May 2021, it feels a lot like a ZOMBIE THREAD.

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them can be out of date and no longer accurate.

Message 31 of 48
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Although this post only dates back to May 2021, it feels a lot like a ZOMBIE THREAD.

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them can be out of date and no longer accurate.

For example, the OP is now enrolled in Managed Payments and is still selling on eBay.

Message 32 of 48
latest reply

I have not yet been convinced that all the MP glitches/issues/problems for Canadian sellers has been sorted out sufficiently and/or resolved to a point where this would create a comfortable atmosphere to be a part of, but as I wait this out I have been selling elsewhere,(my other selling venue as well as FB Marketplace.) Unfortunately I see for many of us who were adamant about not switching to MP, have found that the sheer audience that eBay brings is really hard to let go..and I suspect the reason many a reluctant seller changed mind and "enrolled in Managed Payments and is still selling on eBay."

Message 33 of 48
latest reply

@mrdutch1001 wrote:

I have not yet been convinced that all the MP glitches/issues/problems for Canadian sellers has been sorted out sufficiently and/or resolved to a point where this would create a comfortable atmosphere to be a part of, but as I wait this out I have been selling elsewhere,(my other selling venue as well as FB Marketplace.) Unfortunately I see for many of us who were adamant about not switching to MP, have found that the sheer audience that eBay brings is really hard to let go..and I suspect the reason many a reluctant seller changed mind and "enrolled in Managed Payments and is still selling on eBay."

Total agreement. Sellers switched to MP because they had to. Not because they wanted to. It was pushed as improvement. It isn't for the majority. Maybe for eBay's bottomline. Except for the the listings already created (current sellers) and the potential supposed traffic somewhere on page 39 from search and the time it would take to move to another venue, then build up a following.....to eventually get paid. eBay knows that is time most sellers do not have

-Lotz

Message 34 of 48
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Total agreement. Sellers switched to MP because they had to. Not because they wanted to. It was pushed as improvement. It isn't for the majority. Maybe for eBay's bottomline. Except for the the listings already created (current sellers) and the potential supposed traffic somewhere on page 39 from search and the time it would take to move to another venue, then build up a following.....to eventually get paid. eBay knows that is time most sellers do not have

Sellers also had to adjust to not being able to take mailed paper payments and were forced into using PayPal back in the day, and that was pushed as an improvement, too.  Many eBay sellers are resistant to change, let's face it.

Message 35 of 48
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

Sellers also had to adjust to not being able to take mailed paper payments and were forced into using PayPal back in the day, and that was pushed as an improvement, too.  Many eBay sellers are resistant to change, let's face it.

Basically 3 things that can happen with change or a so called "improvement":

1. Things will get better
  2. Things will stay the same
  3. Things will get worse
  4. 4 if you want to count coming up with a workaround to make things better for your particular situation.

Change for the sake of change is rarely an improvement!!! Or that's the pattern here, as of late!!!

-Lotz

Message 36 of 48
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

True. But this change was not in any way in improvement for most sellers. The first negative is that there is no possibility to directly use the funds received to buy here or elsewhere (it is possible, but takes a LOT of workaround).

But the worst for me is not being able to keep a balance in US $ and use it on websites selling only in US $.

Message 37 of 48
latest reply

I agree that losing the ability to use funds for purchases was probably a drawback. I'm not a great consumer these days so it's hard for me to think of anything I would buy online that isn't also available from a local shop.

And the US dollar /only one bank account  is annoying for Canadians who normally find most of our customers in the USA. This would not be a need for US sellers, or for EU sellers who deal in a single currency. Possibly for UK customers selling into the EU and US, but they were included in the GSP because they were reluctant to sell outside their own little island.

But leaving PP was a return to the status quo ante, when PP belonged to eBay and eBay got part of their corporate income from  payment processing.  After relatively short lapse (2005-2021) eBay is back at that state.

The concerns of members had nothing to do with it.

Message 38 of 48
latest reply

The change to Managed Payments was not a change made just for the sake of change.  

I'm sure that a big reason for it was income revenue for eBay.  

Message 39 of 48
latest reply

True. But this change was not in any way in improvement for most sellers. The first negative is that there is no possibility to directly use the funds received to buy here or elsewhere (it is possible, but takes a LOT of workaround).

------------

I agree that it is not an improvement for most sellers but I don't find it difficult to use my ebay funds for other online purchases.  My ebay funds go into a  Tangerine account that I opened just for that purchase. That account  came with a Visa Debit card so that I can pay online for any purchases with the money in that account.

Message 40 of 48
latest reply