I am so tired of buyers not able to ask for combined shipping

In the last few weeks I have had 4 buyers wanting to have combined shipping, I have tried, all my settings are correct, but it is just not working. 2 of them just gave up. I am having to send special listing for each one. This has been going on for so long, surely someone at eBay can fix it. One of the buyers has been purchasing from me for about 16 years, and not able to ask for combined shipping invoice. Some are in Canada and some in the US.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: I am so tired of buyers not able to ask for combined shipping

Since this has been ongoing for several years now and a constant pain in the butt, I continue to use auction format for most of my items as that does allow for an easy solution to any need for combined shipment. I very much detested eBay's forced GTC fixed price format as 10 day listings worked well for those items that I did choose to list in fixed price format. I learned many years ago GTC does NOT work for all sellers, all things> it is not a suitable blanket solution...despite what eBay "thinks", eBay does NOT  know what is best for sellers and how they list & sell items. I do what is best for me & my items.

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@triber wrote:

In the last few weeks I have had 4 buyers wanting to have combined shipping, I have tried, all my settings are correct, but it is just not working. 2 of them just gave up. I am having to send special listing for each one. This has been going on for so long, surely someone at eBay can fix it. One of the buyers has been purchasing from me for about 16 years, and not able to ask for combined shipping invoice. Some are in Canada and some in the US.

@triber 

devon@ebay 

Urgent. Can you address this please? This has been a known off and on issue for several years for a large number of sellers. Sellers need to be able to combine on shipping without all of the extra work to create a special listing each time a situation arises. This is made worse by the fact if a buyer is having problems, often they just give up and go elsewhere. There are no guarantees of sucesss with add to cart and from my testing there is still not continue shopping button. (Not that I see on a PC)

Thanks,

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies! Let me get this over to the Shipping Team so they can take a look into this. If i need any account specific details, I will be sure to reach out directly to @triber to see if they can share screenshots for me.  

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Thank you so much, this is a real  problem. Works for some buyers, but not for most. I have been selling on eBay for 24 years, but I have potential buyers thinking I don't know what I am doing.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@triber 

Thanks devon@ebay  ,

Fully fixing an issue such as this would  be much more appreciated by sellers/buyers vs some of the other recent "tinkering" implemented by eBay. As Canadian sellers/buyers all we want to do is shop/sell in a easy, streamlined, keyword AFFORDABLE (being able to offer combined shipping) in a way that doesn't frighten both parties away. That includes having access to ALL the same features that US sellers have.

Most of this has been caused by the eBay's streamlining (focus on the App) vs remembering there are still users that rely/prefer using a PC. Or that there are now too many programs tripping over each other causing these conflicts. Probably a combination of both. Going by many recent posts on both boards, that unfortunately is being routinely reported.

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

I have this regularly as well.

I just advise the buyer to try to request total, and that it works for some folks doesn't work for others. If they buy them and have to pay for them as is, I'll refund the differences to bring the shipping cost down to what we've discussed in our messages.

I don't know of any lost sales because of this, but my group is a more amicable buyer group than some.

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Hi @pjcdn2005  first off I appologize for the length of this workaround but this is a complicated "overhaul" at least it was for me.  I don't use the mobile app.   Some buyers say they can't find the option to Request a Total on the desktop either. Maybe that's because the seller requires Immediate Payment.  

It's not perfect.  Overall I recover my shipping costs but occassionally I'm out a dollar or two particularily with Expedited Parcel. My system only works for Canada and the USA. I have enough business policies tweaked for my variety but they only use Expedited Parcel, Tracked Packet USA  and a few flat rate items. They are also tweaked for insurance variables.

None of it would have worked for me without employing all 4 steps I describe and summarize here;

I

• turn off Immediate Payment",
  • have your account settings properly set in the back end including calculated, combined and handling charges
  • including instructions in my listings helps not just for combined orders. Sometimes buyers ask if eBays calculated price is correct. For Int Tr Packet it's usually too high and it saves me from having to do a refund.
  • If your items vary you must have multiple Shipping Business Policies to accommodate item dimensions, weights and insurance values.

None of this will work without the other.  You would need to craft it to make it work for your unique stores. As Griff says in the podcast, " The only way eBay could make a "one size fits all CS button" is if the store has Free Shipping on everything.  Then the final shipment doesn't require a shipping charge. 

I'm not doing that 🙂  so  the next best thing was to piece a system together even though I find eBay's back end confusing.  On top of that you have to account that using Sell Similar on a long tail item can mess things up if you don't update it's old shipping policy.  

Possibly someone setting up a new store can use this "work around" or tweak it to suit them.   

Thanks for listening and sorry for the detail. 

IT

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

@triber wrote:

Even sewing patterns can be up to 100g, 200g or 250 grams and there is now way to just do "add a pattern".

Hi,

Yes there could be a way, you would need 6 or more combined shipping rules as I outlined in my other post. Charge you base price for the listing like you do now (you might need to charge a bit more for the first inital pattern), and then do a bit of playing around with various weights to figure out how much you could ship and reasonabley to not to loose money on shipping (I generally make a like 50cents on each sale, so if I have to pay out of pocket every 50 sales it works out, kinda like the cookie jar injurance idea)

Soemthing like this could work (and if someone bought more then 500 grams with lettermail you could ship 2 packages or maybe use the virtual extra funds to upgrade to a registerd letter or expedited service, etc)

If you list a sewing pattern thats 100 grams or less you apply the 100gram extra charge tick box, and likewise if you list a 250gram pattern you apply the 250gram extra charge to that listing. So if someone added your 250gram pattern and the 100 gram pattern to the cart they would be charge the HIGHEST charge first (the 250gram original shipping price) plus the 100 gram combined rate that you set

Canada 100 grams - lets say 2.00 extra

Canada 200grams - lets say 3.50 extra

Canada 250 grams - lets say 4.00 extra

I ssume you using small packet or a chit chats like service now as Customs is clamping down on things, the price seems to only go up a few dollars per weight rate category.

USA 100 grams - lets say 3.00 extra

USA 200 grams - lets say 4.00 extra

USA 250 grams - lets say 5.00 extra

Just some food for thought, these are the kinda things that need to be played with a bit (i use a second account and different browser to test my shipping rates work when adding various items to the ebay cart, with both a Canadian and American address) Bussiness Policies are great for these kind of like items

Good luck! I highly doubt ebay cares enough to make the cart do much more then it already does with all the variables to shipping. Maybe one day they can get it sorted, but with the amount of people screaming for immediate payment (at least in the usa) I don't see much changing as that doesnt allow for combined shipping to happen.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Thanks, but I can't see how that would work for me, I sell in several categories. Someone could want to purchase a cup and saucer, a bag of yarn and a knitting book. No way I can add totals like that on the website, I have to be able to combine the shipping, I just need eBay to allow the buyer to ask for a combined shipping invoice.

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Triber and I sell the same type of items (sometimes identical) and I too have would appreciate an easy way for buyers to combine items. At one time we were able to group the items together ourselves (maybe before Sellers Hub?) and send an invoice to the buyer. Maybe just bring back that feature? It worked well when the buyer was unable to combine at their end first.

devon@ebay

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

I looked at your listings, and for a lot of the ones in Canada or to the USA your already using a tracked shipping method, and the major cost for these kind of items is the upfront cost of the package. There is not a large difference between a 0-500gram package and a 501-1000g etc package its a few dollars as you paid the upfront cost for the 0-500 gram package.

The combined shipping I am talking about charges the highest charge first so (the cup) and then Yarn would be added on as a combined add on rate of 5.00 lets say (you decide). I can't see in a realstic senario that that amount of shipping charged wouldnt cover the majotiy of a shipping label, you just need to crunch a bit of numbers and see what will work

I think where you are at, do you want to lose potential sales and make $0 ?? OR would you rather lose maybe $1-3 on shipping becasue someone bought a few weird items and it didnt work out perfectly in your case on that transaction. In other senarios you can make money off the combined shipping. It might be worth TRYING and working with what ebay has available at the moment, until maybe a fix happens down the line. Maybe In Time with Music has some suggestions as he works with larger items. Flat rate shipping isnt perfect but there are things you can do to keep it from going too wrong. I lose money on some sales but on the majority I make 50cents and it all balances out, but I dont lose sales becasue people cant combine with ease in the cart

Flat rate boxes are a great option too if someone bought a bunch of items like your cup, yarn and book (the large one at I believe $30.00 would fit all thoese items and one of your cup and saucer listings brings you $25.00 in shipping and $5 for the yarn as a combined rate, and whatever for the book you would be set and not loosing money. (maybe it even fits in a medium flat rate for $24 and you would make money off shipping.)

As a side note not sure why the 3 cup listings you have up have different sipping costs ranging from $20-30, not that I know about cups and saucers but I would think they would all be a similar weight.

Anyhow good luck

Message 30 of 31
latest reply

****for newcomers to this topic, my apology, there is no short answer. I've gone to great lengths to make things consise and readable. No pain no gain *****

Hi @regs43 , @triber @msmaggie060 . I see the regulars are hashing out this same issue all over again on another thread from last October... I'm not going over there.  No need to rehash on another thread.

@regs43 said "Maybe In Time with Music has some suggestions as he works with larger items. Flat rate shipping isnt perfect but there are things you can do to keep it from going too wrong. I lose money on some sales but on the majority I make 50cents and it all balances out, but I dont lose sales becasue people cant combine with ease in the cart".

@regs43 You are correct and also commended for explaining what to do that may work. You're right in suggesting that sthe item weight and dimensions needs to be accounted for. How I did that was to use Business Policies for the variables. Including "Free Pickup" I have 14 shipping Business Policies. They account for size but also for insurance and packing labour in some cases. For example I sold  a large xylophone to a buyer in Edmonton. It went out UPS needed insurance and took 4 hours to build a container and pack it. Those cost paramters were built into a general Business Policy that can be used for other similar items.

• To repeat I do not think eBay can provide a "one size fits all" system for 18 million sellers selling 1.7 billion items. That said @lotzofuniquegoodies and the rest are justified in requesting a permanent "Request Total" option on the app and on the regular platform. But that option is contrary to the "Immediate Payment" most sellers & eBay seem to want. Requesting a total DELAYS payment.
  • In 2019 I got tired of losing sales like the rest so...

I did exactly what @regs43 describes. I went into Account Settings and fined tuned. I found due to the increases in freight costs I could not "Add on a Dollar" for each item. It was the opposite. In order to compete I changed my settings to "ship on fumes". 

• @regs43  "I lose money on some sales but on the majority I make 50cents and it all balances out, but I dont lose sales becasue people cant combine with ease in the cart".

Some sellers still think they can put freight profit in their pockets selling shipping for retail prices. They pocket eBay or Shippo discount margins. Maybe if you sell stamps... Not us. I sell a variety and have to compete mostly with USA sellers.

As well as shipping at cost I removed any "add on per item" handling charge. NOTE: Depending on WHAT and WHERE you sell you're settings may be different. 

I find eBay's back end shipping preference settings a complex mess. I'm not sure why folks talk about "Request Total" buttons without asking that the Account Settings be all in one place, simple to set and no "drill downs" to hide things.  This is where many sellers (including me) run into trouble and sometimes give up..

After figuring that out things improved but it wasn't enough to have the setting working. In the event of an error in the shipping combination you need to slow down the CHECKOUT. If you don't and the sale completes you may lose a few bucks. there are 2 ways to slow down your buyer.

• Remove "Immediate Payment Required".
  • Tell them nicely in every listing how to Request a Total. Put it in your listing template. Even if they can't find an app radio button they now know they can request a total because you have told them they can. Maybe they send you a DM or maybe they move off the phone onto a laptop. It doesn't matter. Now you're in a convo with your buyer before checkout and you can direct them. Meanwhile they are in your store the whole time adding stuff to their cart. 

No seller has to do any of these 4 things.  In the case of @triber  I agree with @regs43. This would work to sell sewing patterns in Canada, the continental USA and Puerto Rico.  I don't know what patterns weigh. A 400g package ships from Kelowna to Florida Tr Pkt USA for  $16.92 (with the seller discount) plus your packaging materials.  Given USPS increases it's competive with the USA.

You cannot sell at retail frieght or add "Handling Charges" per item unless you are losing money. You must build in your actual cost so if an item sells for $200 you need to account for $100 in extra insurance. The only way I know how is through Business Policies. 

It may take time and failure to tweak and find the balance of Settings, Business Policies, Listing templates etc. Is it worth it? It sure was for me. Once sorted out and informing buyers that "Request Total" was a "thing" whethoer or not they could see a radio button the number of CS sales doubled in 2021. In 2022 they increased again by 33%.

Now, most of the time, if the buyer doesn't request a total the shipping is close to accurate and whoopee! I sold three items not 1!  If the buyer does request a total I can thank them, let them know if or when I may get something else of interest and plant seeds for repeat business.

After having my own retail store for 20 years I don't subscribe to "Slam Bam Thank You Mam" AKA "Immediate Payment".

IT

Message 31 of 31
latest reply