Managed Payments: Results May Vary

So..... are all sellers now operating under Managed Payments in ebay.ca? My account was activated a few weeks ago and the results have been underwhelming to frame it politely.

I'm waiting a minimum of two days to a maximum of a full seven days for payments to be deposited in my chequing account and there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to it. Under the old system, with payments submit to me through PayPal, those funds would be deposited to my account within hours in most cases. If I withdrew a PayPal balance before noon CST on a weekday, it would be sitting in my bank account by suppertime that same day. 

This Managed Payment system through ebay does not thus far compare favourably. Whose fault is that? Adyen? If it's the payment processor to blame then why did the company pick such a lame duck with which to do business? 

I have another website where I accept payments through a different payment processor (neither PayPal nor Adyen) and I see that money in my account the next day often by midday.

Managed Payments seems to, quite frankly, stink compared to the way it used to be.

I expected better than this. It's discouraging to me a seller that my buyers can have their items in hand long before ebay sees fit to deliver the money to me paid to have it. 

What kind of turnaround times are others seeing?

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Managed Payments: Results May Vary

My record for each transaction is obtained from .....Seller Hub > Orders > View Order details

My record of each payout is the email  from eBay received in eBay messages....My payouts are made on a weekly basis.

A copy of my monthly invoice from eBay is a record of my costs

My cost for postage is from my every day account which I use for every day expenses, and then I keep a record of every cost of postage....

and then  spreadsheets become a summary  record of my sales, postage  and costs...  and more... everything needed for income tax purposes....

Message 21 of 61
latest reply

For me it is....

eBay makes a change.....I make an adjustment ... in response to the change....

And my selling on eBay continues

Managed Payment can be considered a BIG change.....  and I learn how to make it happen, one day, one step, at a time

Message 22 of 61
latest reply

and.... I keep paper copies of everything required for tax purposes

Message 23 of 61
latest reply

...are you getting a "kickback" from eBay for all your PRO MP "Propaganda?

The thing is a joke, not even ready for use!

Message 24 of 61
latest reply

I learn how to make it happen on eBay...... Me... Myself... and I

Have been selling on eBay since January 2003....  

eBay makes a change....  I make the adjustment  and continue to sell on eBay.... My way

I have learned how to make it happen... and there have been many times  I do it my way.... and it works.....

It takes some thought and logical action to make it happen...

I use MP in a logical manner for me....  Other eBay sellers must make their own adjustments

Hopefully My actions ... my understanding  ...will help

Message 25 of 61
latest reply

MP has not been perfect for me but better than expected. Most of my payments do show up in my bank account on the same day, I have had a few that were 2 days later. My biggest gripe was they took a full week to process a ~$2000 order and it ended up missing the payout cutoff date. I was about to complain but before I could they ended up sending a separate message/apology and did a special payout right away.

Message 26 of 61
latest reply

But if a buyer marks that he has Paid in the Seller Hub, how does that prove he has paid?
I understand that either the buyer or the seller can adjust "paid" and "Shipped" because of Local Pickup/Cash Payments where there would be no electronic record of either.

And both have been used falsely. Not often, but we see a fair number of newbies who are fooled into shipping when they see payment on eBay.

I want a "3rd party" confirmation of payment.

I would accept Managed Payments as that, but not the Seller Hub.

Especially with a time difference of days between the two.

Message 27 of 61
latest reply

@femmefan1946 

Another thing that can happen, if you were to say purchase postage at a post office or using the UR xxx xxx xxx CA tracking for US Small Packet air and inadvertently entered it incorrectly (or even later - Sometimes you just meant to but forgot) and then went back a few days later to update that will change the true and actual processing time to the new date. Making it appear late when it wasn't. Apparently corrections will not be tolerated. Reiterating.."Results May Vary."

-Lotz

Message 28 of 61
latest reply

I have had two local pickups with Managed payments.

The buyer paid cash Canadian dollars when the purchased item was picked  up.

Then an invoice with zero cost for shipping was sent to the buyer and the transaction was noted as paid and shipped on the record of the transaction.

This all should be the responsibility of the seller....  The buyer should not be able to mark anything as paid and shipped.....  for a local pickup

Nothing showed up on the Payments record with a local pickup....

Message 29 of 61
latest reply

From my understanding if you are able to use a smartphone you can scan the customers HR code and as per eBay that is considered acceptable for buyer/seller protection. This shows up as the case in eBay Help. If you are processing using Sellers Hub only option is to mark as Picked up. I used to be able to add a pick up date under tracking but there is no option available to complete.

-Lotz

Message 30 of 61
latest reply

The only way to see that a buyer has paid is to go to the Payments page.

A payment will first be noted as ... Processing

and then.....  the payment will be noted as ....  Completed.

and .......finally  a Payout can be made to the seller's bank account

--------------------------

With a local pickup there is no record on the Payments page  if the seller receives the payment as cash when the purchased item is picked up.... 

It is then the responsibility of the seller to send an invoice with zero cost for shipping and add  paid and shipped to the record for a transaction on  the Orders page.  This record of a cash payment is not shown on the Payments page

------------------------------

It should also be noted that Payments do not appear to be processed on Saturday and Sunday

Message 31 of 61
latest reply

This all should be the responsibility of the seller.... The buyer should not be able to mark anything as paid and shipped..... for a local pickup

I think this is a good suggestion.

I presume the buyer could mark as Shipped/ Picked Up , but not as Paid, though? Only because there is no reason for the buyer to mark Shipped when he has nothing, paid or not.

Message 32 of 61
latest reply

The seller should be the only person allowed to mark anything on the Seller Hub Orders page.

The keyword is ......  Seller

Message 33 of 61
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Given eBay's track record for new initiatives, I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect anything new from them to work perfectly when the gates open, as frustrating as that can be.

My memory may be faulty, but my recollection is that when PayPal first expanded into Canada (before it became an eBay company), there were a lot of complaints about it being buggy and slow to transfer funds, amongst other things.

When you've got a non-Canadian company in charge of a system involving the Canadian financial system, I think one has to brace themselves for things being a bit sideways for a while.

Message 34 of 61
latest reply

Having worked for "large" corporations systems departments for 25 years before I dropped to only one job selling by mail/online, ebay does a pretty darned good job of keeping the site running enough to be functional despite the wide variety of technology and systems they have to support, notwithstanding the unpublished probably very significant time they have to invest in securing and protecting the site from "hacking" which is a much bigger problem today than it was back in my day. 

I recall the implementations back in the day, there were always problems of various sizes.

It is no fun experiencing them, but as CUMOS says, one has to adapt to survive.....

Message 35 of 61
latest reply

You adapt.....  To Make it Happen

Message 36 of 61
latest reply

I’m not in MP but it’s my impression that an item will be marked as being ‘ready for shipment’ if the buyer has paid through eBay checkout and the payment is at the processing point where you will be guaranteed payment.

Message 37 of 61
latest reply

eBay sent out a Payout this morning.... Tuesday, October 6.

It is in my bank account   on the same day the Payout was sent by eBay,.

Message 38 of 61
latest reply

I only purchase here but my neighbor sells items found a yard sales and thrift stores.

She also purchases here and usually I pick up her mail both at the group box and post office. I noticed she has purchased much less lately.

I asked why and she told me that she had previously listed on both .ca and .com and had paypal money in both currencies. With with Canadian dollars only she stopped purchasing US dollar items because of the currency exchange cost. Then something else happened. She said the money once in her bank account seemed much more real so she stopped spending it on things here that she really did not need.

Message 39 of 61
latest reply

I'd like to opt out Managed payments also. I set up payout {sellers fees) etc., to come out of my Paypal account, but am getting bi weekly notifications that they will be dipping into my bank account because funds aren't available. "Take out of Paypal" I won't even get started on the Shippo service...and in my experience not cheaper. Have lost hours since the system has changed. I believe more instructions are also need in the "Payment section of ebay," so that it is more user friend. So be pop up hints when hovering over certain sections. imo
Message 40 of 61
latest reply